Another Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Wawa Coffee

Jul 24, 2016
SEPA
A friend at work has a neighbor that just had 7 giant (what I'm assuming are White Ash) trees taken down. We have a quick 63°F break between snow storms (though it's rainy and humid) so I thought I'd start working on the 2019-2020 stash.

Here is one pickup bed full. Can anyone confirm this as Ash? Thanks!

FNItjT4.jpg

Reactions: D8Chumley
Looks ask to me.

I do not see any giants here however......

Just goooood splitting rounds.

Oh
I get it. Ash does grow to a quite a size.

Large diamond patterned bark and bullet hole down the pith of each round is tell tale sign of ash. Great score. I am wishing I had more in the stacks.

Ash 1000%
As mentioned above, centre hole is a givw away.
Thank EAB!!

Reactions: nrford
Nice score! I love Ash...so easy to work with, very few branches, burns great, and seasons fast. While I appreciate the abundance of standing dead/dying Ash around my parts, it’s really a bummer that they’re going to be gone in a few years. Awesome trees.

White ash is my guess.

Text book mature bark for ash.

The wood does look strange. I don't know hickory.

It has that pinhole in the center for sure. Insanely straight grained like White Ash tends to have been in my limited experience. My favorite wood to split by a mile.

ASH for sure