Another Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

davo1028

Feb 5, 2019
Central OH
I picked up a truck full of this at a highway rest stop near my house this week. I have no idea on the leaves since it was already felled and bucked, but I figured our experts here would be able to help with an ID. It's harder to split than the ash I've been going through recently (but what isn't?) and is fairly stringy as it splits. Located in Central Ohio. Any ideas what it might be?
1124191528.jpg

1124191528a.jpg

1000%Shaggy

Hickory.

Sorry, can't get the hang the "quote" button! We say shagbark around here. Having said that, looks more like wild cherry to me. Barks is also rough, and the dark sapwood looks like the cherry I've cut. I don't have any hickory to compare it to right now. Curt

• Haha
Reactions: nrford
Sorry, can't get the hang the "quote" button! We say shagbark around here. Having said that, looks more like wild cherry to me. Barks is also rough, and the dark sapwood looks like the cherry I've cut. I don't have any hickory to compare it to right now. Curt
I don't think that is Cherry based on looking at the magnified pictures, plus Cherry has a rougher grain inside. I believe that is Hickory but the bark and reddish tone to it makes me think it is Shellbark Hickory rather than Shagbark, Shaggy is more grey rather than red. Either way it is great fuelwood!

A quick test would be the smell, Cherry smells sweet while Hickory usually smells like cow manure lol!