Another wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MMH

Minister of Fire
Jan 21, 2019
NV
Can anyone identify this?

CF92F200-E55B-4E79-B7B3-8A324D53CB38.jpeg
85F1832B-B0F5-4DF4-AEEC-0403DD795896.jpeg
984F7DCB-5FDB-4A80-9A97-7A0576F50625.jpeg

Black locust maybe? Bark looks similar to honey locust but the heartwood is way darker. Doesn't look like walnut bark. Someone who burns a lot of black locust will chime in on whether my guess is right.

I’ll try and get some better pictures for you guys when I’m done moving it

Yeah I’m horrible with tree ID especially species not in my area; the bark looks a bit like locust or hickory maybe, I’m crossing my fingers!

Someone who burns a lot of black locust will chime in on whether my guess is right.

I do burn a lot of Black Locust as for it being it I do not think so. I am like the second poster stumped.

I think a split wood help this ID.

I do burn a lot of Black Locust as for it being it I do not think so. I am like the second poster stumped.

I think a split wood help this ID.

Yeah unfortunately I’m at the in laws; the neighbor had some trees take down, all she could say was “silver” doesn’t look like maple nor did the leaves I found. I’m coming back for it this spring, when I get it home I’ll CSS and try a couple more pics of some split pieces to see if we can ID this.

My guess is elm (Siberian ?). Close-up pic of twigs with buds ?
The buds from OP's pic #1 (bottom right) looks like elm buds.
What does fresh split smell like ?

At first I thought a type of elm, not necessarily Siberian since I have a ton of that on my own lot and burn it regularly though I've seen some that can kinda throw me off from what I'm used to at home. Kinda leaning toward DandL's willow suggestion. I remember a buddy of mine thought my elm at home was willow, based on the pics of the logs i sent him. In other words they can look kinda similar.

MMH can you still get a close up picture of the bud ?
Siberian elm
Black willow
Willow will have small, slender, buds that are appressed and covered by one bud scale

MMH can you still get a close up picture of the bud ?
Siberian elm
Black willow
Willow will have small, slender, buds that are appressed and covered by one bud scale

I’ll try and see if I can find one tomorrow; I’m currently on operation have a baby lol; we’re at the mother in laws waiting for the little one to arrive and somehow got roped into some wood moving! I’ll check in the morning and see if there’s any twigs in the pile to check for the buds.

Reactions: mcdougy
MMH thanks taking & posting pics.
To me it still looks like Siberian elm. Buds are small and dark (look like peppercorn) and don't lie tight against twig (not appressed).
Salix (willow) and Populus (cottonwood) the buds will be longer and more slender. Buds of willow lay against the twig.

Reactions: hickoryhoarder
MMH thanks taking & posting pics.
To me it still looks like Siberian elm. Buds are small and dark (look like peppercorn) and don't lie tight against twig (not appressed).
Salix (willow) and Populus (cottonwood) the buds will be longer and more slender. Buds of willow lay against the twig.

Thanks for the help and replies; I’m terrible with ID lol, I think you or dandl are right. Hoping for the elm though it seems a smidge better haha

Looks like willow.