Another wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
BA9BBCD2-5DDF-42EF-B16F-26452DB8A15E.jpeg
1610147254377.png
1610147322670.png

The wood looks like black walnut but the bark does not look like black walnut.
It isn't locust.

Mystery tree.

I’m assuming the right is willow and bottom is elm, if so

Far LEFT - OP's pic post #22 | MIDDLE pic - Virginia Tech stock pic of black willow bud (yellow twig) | RIGHT pic - Virginia Tech stock pic of Siberian elm bud

Appears to be Russian Olive. Makes you feel like a giant splitting it. Fast growers, burns okay. I burned a lot when I lived in S. ID. Smells like cigars

My guess is elm (Siberian ?). Close-up pic of twigs with buds ?
The buds from OP's pic #1 (bottom right) looks like elm buds.
What does fresh split smell like ?
The buds also made me think Siberian elm. I was thinking locust on the bark.

I'm in your general area - Russian olive and red elm are very common in this low rain mountain desert climate. It isn't Russian Olive because Russian Olive has 'flaky' bark and a more tannish chocolate colored wood color.

So I'm going with Red Elm. If you split some, the fibers kind of want to hold together - but Red elm is suppose to be easier to split than the other sub species of elm, and it has a little higher btu rating, too. Also, you can see a slight reddish/violet hue in the brown part of the split wood. And, the tree usually has several branching parts in its growth - so the main trunk will go up 6 to 8 feet and then there will be 3 or 4 medium sized trunks coming off this main trunk.

A dead ringer - if the bark is removed and the exposed wood has little pointy nipples sticking out here and there - it is for sure red elm. I think it is in the area of 19-21 btu rating - so like walnut or cherry.

Last edited:
Thanks to cincyburner I believe this is elm; and now thanks to qwee I think we got it! After comparing some pics and reading up I think this is likely red elm. Also finding 19-21.6 btu from charts. Looks like a descent score.

I'm in your general area - Russian olive and red elm are very common in this low rain mountain desert climate. It isn't Russian Olive because Russian Olive has 'flaky' bark and a more tannish chocolate colored wood color.

So I'm going with Red Elm. If you split some, the fibers kind of want to hold together - but Red elm is suppose to be easier to split than the other sub species of elm, and it has a little higher btu rating, too. Also, you can see a slight reddish/violet hue in the brown part of the split wood. And, the tree usually has several branching parts in its growth - so the main trunk will go up 6 to 8 feet and then there will be 3 or 4 medium sized trunks coming off this main trunk.

A dead ringer - if the bark is removed and the exposed wood has little pointy nipples sticking out here and there - it is for sure red elm. I think it is in the area of 19-21 btu rating - so like walnut or cherry.

I’m familiar with Russian olive although I haven’t burned it. This is definitely not olive. I think your right I think it’s red elm. Thanks for the help.

Reactions: rwhite