Another wood ID!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mojoliveshere

Sep 16, 2022
Victoria BC
Hi all,

I have a lead on some rounds but I'm not sure what they are. I'm on Southern Vancouver Island and surrounded by Garry oak. That's my first guess but the rounds are a lot lighter than I thought they would be. They've been cut 2 or 3 years and a quarter round split with one confident strike of the axe.... My maybe just very dry? If that's the case I think I've always been burning wet wood... :/

Any thoughts?

Screenshot_20220929-192055.png Screenshot_20220929-192023.png PXL_20220930_011121263.jpg

Last edited:
Hi all,

I have a lead on some rounds but I'm not sure what they are. I'm on Southern Vancouver Island and surrounded by Garry oak. That's my first guess but the rounds are a lot lighter than I thought they would be. They've been cut 2 or 3 years and a quarter round split with one confident strike of the axe.... My maybe just very dry? If that's the case I think I've always been burning wet wood... :/

Any thoughts?

View attachment 299634 View attachment 299635

PXL_20220930_011121263.jpg

Looks like Poplar to me
That would agree with the light weight statement, but that bark doesn't look like any poplar I've seen around here. Google "poplar bark", and you will see.

Oak is always easier to detect with the nose, than from a picture of old mold-darkened rounds. Your two close-ups show bark that's a dead-ringer for northern red oak, the sapwood of which does rot fast, if stored on the ground. Given the high ratio of sapwood to heartwood, I suppose it's possible that's what it is, especially if you tell us the outer four inches is like styrofoam, but the core is still solid.

Other than that, what's it smell like when you split it?

That would agree with the light weight statement, but that bark doesn't look like any poplar I've seen around here. Google "poplar bark", and you will see.

Oak is always easier to detect with the nose, than from a picture of old mold-darkened rounds. Your two close-ups show bark that's a dead-ringer for northern red oak, the sapwood of which does rot fast, if stored on the ground. Given the high ratio of sapwood to heartwood, I suppose it's possible that's what it is, especially if you tell us the outer four inches is like styrofoam, but the core is still solid.

Other than that, what's it smell like when you split it?
The bark looks similar to the poplar up here, but now that I look at it, the ones that have bark removed, I haven't seen any of my poplar start checking up the sides like that. It usually starts at the ends and splits wide along the sides... It's a mystery! (So far..) lol

I guess there are so many flavors each, of both white and red oaks, that it's impossible to say. But yes, given those we commonly come across here in southeastern PA, the bark looks very similar to what we usually identify as red oak, not white.

But I won't argue the poplar assessment, and I wasn't really arguing for oak, I was just commenting on the appearance of the bark. Except in some very obvious cases (eg. ash vs. walnut), it's always difficult to make a confident assessment from a few photos of old and blackened wood posted to a forum, alone.

I guess you'll really know when you burn it. Fast and hot is Poplar (And lot's of popping), slow and low I would imagine would be Oak

Thanks to everyone for weighing in on this question! This forum is fantastic.

I'm quite congested so I can't smell much at the moment. I will once the cold clears, maybe that will give me some clues. I took a look at poplar and can see why you all think that might be the case. If so I guess I'll have some decent dry but fast stuff to get the fire going. I bought a station wagon's worth, mainly because it was so dry.

I've attached pic of the Garry oak growing next door. The bark's appearance is almost identical to the rounds I bought, but thicker. Would oak bark condense /
flatten out when it dries?

Anyway, if anyone on Southern Vancouver Island has any hardwood they're looking to offload, let me know! : )

m

PXL_20221002_224402578.MP.jpg

Those yellow leaves are not garry oak imo. Looks more like locust.

Yup, thanks for that picture, a new one to me, is that pic common of the tree? The original pic resembles a straight trunk tree, no crazy bends like this one
Common i'd say, the branches are notoriously bendy. The base truck is often quite straight and free of branches for a storey or so.