Another Woodstock Keystone Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks great Todd and great results too!

Ray

Beautiful! I just became a 2 stove house late this winter. Now I can't wait until next winter to really try things out.

Glad to hear it's working better for you

The stove looks great either way. For my addition, we are going to have a provision in the basement foundation for two flue outlets. One for a rear exit straight to the chimney and one at a traditional height for a vertical exit flue set-up.

With my Keystone, my living room is small, so the rear vent doesn't intrude on the room as much as it did on the top vent. I can't compare apples to apples with my top vs rear vent set-ups since I went with a liner on the rear vent.

That extra 90 elbow may have been the problem - either way, your hearth really looks good with the top vented Keystone.

Good luck,
Bill

Very nice install. I was wondering about the distance to combustibles with reference to your wood stack. Based on the brick on the hearth it looks to be about 14" away from the stove. Now don't get me wrong it wouldn't bother me one bit in the least, but quite a long thread has been devoted to drying wood on or near a stove with distances greater than what I see. I for one have a wood box about 30" from stove and have measured wood temps as high as 160 degrees.

Todd said:
Stove top temps seem to be a bit higher as well, 650 with little flame and staying over 500 for a good 3 hours or more.
I'm still unable (or unwilling) to get those temps. Heck, I fell asleep for an hour with the air open to 1, and only got 500 on the corner stone, 550 on the cat stone. Gotta be the wood...or maybe I'm just a chicken! We shall see this fall...

If I leave the door wide open I'll get a little wisp of smoke escaping occasionally, even though I have only one 90* and then up almost straight. I'm sure that reducing to 6" cuts a bit of draft from my 16' stack. What's your stack height? Bill, possibly you have more stack, thus less spillage?
Anyhow that is one sweet-looking install, top or rear vent, and a beautiful hearth! :)
What's the square recessed area in the hearth wall behind the pipe, a clean-out?

wkpoor said:
I was wondering about the distance to combustibles with reference to your wood stack. Based on the brick on the hearth it looks to be about 14" away from the stove. Now don't get me wrong it wouldn't bother me one bit
It wouldn't bother me either. Not a ton of heat coming off the side of my stove...but I'm not cranking 650 stove top! :gulp:
But looking at the pics on the first page, Todd appears to have the 18" required in the manual.

My chiimney is about 16ish feet. I think your draft improves with a smaller diameter pipe - to a point. I know that when I went from a top vent with a 90 degree turn into my chimney into a square chimney liner that was about 6-5/8 to a smooth 1/2 inch insulated 6 inch round rigid liner and horizontal vent straight into it, my draft greatly increased.

Most likely your smoke is a combo of warmer temps reducing your draft plus maybe not super seasoned wood.

Good luck,
Bill

wkpoor said:
Very nice install. I was wondering about the distance to combustibles with reference to your wood stack. Based on the brick on the hearth it looks to be about 14" away from the stove. Now don't get me wrong it wouldn't bother me one bit in the least, but quite a long thread has been devoted to drying wood on or near a stove with distances greater than what I see. I for one have a wood box about 30" from stove and have measured wood temps as high as 160 degrees.

The firewood rack is 18" from the stove which is the minimum side clearance to combustibles.

Woody Stover said:
Todd said:
Stove top temps seem to be a bit higher as well, 650 with little flame and staying over 500 for a good 3 hours or more.
I'm still unable (or unwilling) to get those temps. Heck, I fell asleep for an hour with the air open to 1, and only got 500 on the corner stone, 550 on the cat stone. Gotta be the wood...or maybe I'm just a chicken! We shall see this fall...

If I leave the door wide open I'll get a little wisp of smoke escaping occasionally, even though I have only one 90* and then up almost straight. I'm sure that reducing to 6" cuts a bit of draft from my 16' stack. What's your stack height? Bill, possibly you have more stack, thus less spillage?
Anyhow that is one sweet-looking install, top or rear vent, and a beautiful hearth! :)
What's the square recessed area in the hearth wall behind the pipe, a clean-out?

wkpoor said:
I was wondering about the distance to combustibles with reference to your wood stack. Based on the brick on the hearth it looks to be about 14" away from the stove. Now don't get me wrong it wouldn't bother me one bit
It wouldn't bother me either. Not a ton of heat coming off the side of my stove...but I'm not cranking 650 stove top! :gulp:
But looking at the pics on the first page, Todd appears to have the 18" required in the manual.

With good dry fuel you should easily see temps over 500 with this stove.

Yes, the black square in the hearth wall is my clean out. Kind of a pain reaching up in there to remove the tee cap for the liner. I need to fix that some day.

My basement install has a 5.5" liner at about 22' and the other Keystone is 6" at 14'. The basement stove seems to draft a little better.

And I'm betting that Todd is keeping that firewood rack full too. He won't be done burning for a while.

Backwoods Savage said:
And I'm betting that Todd is keeping that firewood rack full too. He won't be done burning for a while.

You betcha. Looks like burning weather for at least another week. Sorry about sending this cold stuff your way.

Ya, we had some snow in the air this morning but it didn't amount to much. Forecasted hight for today is 39 with high winds. Cool all week. Keep that cold over on your side of the pond.

Status
Not open for further replies.