Anti-vibration pads

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

buggs_moran

Dec 20, 2011
Central MA
My stove's motors seem to hum at just the right frequency to create an unpleasant vibration in the floor (to me, anyway). Has anyone set their stove on anti-vibration pads like they use for heavy machinery to dampen vibrations?

Something like these: http://www.grainger.com/product/CHI.../rp/s/is/image/Grainger/36VZ59_AW01?$smthumb$
I don't know if the pads would help or not. I would guess that the noise is created by vibration in the motor. I don't think pads would help since the stove it;s self is vibrating.

Have you tried removing the room fan and taking a brush to the fins and getting the fan real clean? I have had and seen several get imbalanced by a major crop of dust bunnies.

Don't know if it will work, but I'm likely to try it myself. The MVAE has developed a vibration at certain fan speeds of the convection blower, which rattles those blasted thin panels. A whack stops them, but your idea seems excellent. I suspect any small cushioning just under the legs would suffice (you hardly need an entire mat). Non-flammable would be nice, on the very tiny chance something every touches them (i.e., if you ever open whole running).

You'd probably have to put them under your hearth pad to comply with fire codes. You can also try a piece of carpet.

Probably cut some silicone cookware or oven gloves and not have to worry about heat and make some washer from same material to try and isolate the fans from the cabinet.

Reactions: Ambient
I would also suggest that you clean the fan fins to make sure its running balanced. You may also want to make sure that the fan is firmly attached to the stove. If you have a stripped screw or thread and a little gap, it would make a lot of noise on higher speeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.