Antique tools?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Black Jaque Janaviac

Feeling the Heat
Dec 17, 2009
Ouisconsin
A guy lent these to me to use indefinitely. Before I risk breaking them I thought I might check with you fellers to see if they're of any value.

Attachments

• DSC01581.jpg
    DSC01581.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 234
  • DSC01582.jpg
    DSC01582.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 240
  • DSC01583.jpg
    DSC01583.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 234
  • DSC01584.jpg
    DSC01584.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 249
And these pictures. The cant hook appears to be made by Oshkosh something or other.

These tools seem like survivors of a number of governmental projects - CCC? WCD, USFS.

Attachments

• DSC01585.jpg
    DSC01585.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 233
  • DSC01586.jpg
    DSC01586.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 242
They look commercially manufactured/forged from some point in the 20th Century. I don't see any hammer marks from the photos that would indicate that they were hand forged. As far as value, I think they are more valuable to be used, as opposed to being stuck on a wall. They were made to be used and are from a time when things were made to last.

I hate seeing usable tools ending up as wall/lawn ornaments etc. just because they are "antique". I was looking to buy an anvil for blacksmithing a few years ago and went to a farm auction. There was a 100 year old anvil in poor shape, but still usable. I thought I would go as far as $250.00, for that is all it was worth in that condition. When I left the auction, the bidding was at $750.00 for it. It probably ended up as a lawn or cottage flower bed ornament for some yuppie.

I am currently using a blacksmith hand forged cant hook that is over 100 years. It still works as good as the day it was made. I like to think that I am honouring the person who made it. The value to me.........priceless!

Sisu,

I know what you mean. If my premisis is going to look like a lumber camp it's going to be because there's a bit of loggin' going on 'round here. It ain't gonna be for decoration.

However, here in Wisconsin there's a fair bit of pride in our logging heritage, and I'd rather not destroy something that has earned the status of "artifact".

That said, some of these things are like wooden boats, the worst thing you can do is not use them. Wooden boats and canoes do not make good museum fodder they're best chance at a long life is to be used often and repaired as needed.

Nothing antique there, I don't think. The only thing you would worry about is breaking the handles. That happens from time to time but is not difficult to put new ones on if needed.

I broke the handle on my cant hook. It now sports a 6 1/2' piece of Hickory. It is a huge help convincing hung trees to come down.

I still use some cross cut saws on occassion and have more than my share of good axes so maybe I'm just nuts?

I don't think you'll hurt the hauler. The Hook I might replace with a rougher one off Ebay. I think I gave $20 for the one I use daily. It wasn't nice like yours.

ATB,
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.