Any advice on moving a big slab of limestone

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

billfred

Burning Hunk
Jul 28, 2015
indy
I have a 600 lb 4'x6'x2" slab of limestone to pick up and bring home for my wood stove.

Any advice on transporting home and any advice on getting it inside? (moving straps, rolling, etc).

I have a 600 lb 4'x6'x2" slab of limestone to pick up and bring home for my wood stove.

Any advice on transporting home and any advice on getting it inside? (moving straps, rolling, etc).
WOW! If it were me I'd try to get it on a good solid oak pallet. I have forks on my tractor to unload and would try to borrow a pallet jack to move around house. Then call my strongest friends to help get through doorways and to do the final set.

The hard part is getting it in the door... I'd probably build a crate around it. You can muscle a heavy wooden crate into the house without breaking it, but not a 4x6 stone slab.

If you're building a crate anyway, you could put a couple axles on it and have a rolling crate. Would be easier than dinking with dollies since you have to have to bring it inside on the long edge. Furniture dollies are another option once it's crated up.

Reactions: Marshy
You might need to use an A frame for transport. If you lay it flat I believe there is a danger of it cracking. in a truck bed or trailer.
You could build an A-frame cart with heavy duty wheels on the corners. This one is metal but you could make one out of 2x4's.
http://pic.stonecontact.com/picture...uartz-stone-transporter-frames-p610396-1b.jpg
single-side-transport-a-frame-racks-granite-marble-quartz-stone-transporter-frames-p610396-1b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ashful
The hard part is getting it in the door... I'd probably build a crate around it. You can muscle a heavy wooden crate into the house without breaking it, but not a 4x6 stone slab.

If you're building a crate anyway, you could put a couple axles on it and have a rolling crate. Would be easier than dinking with dollies since you have to have to bring it inside on the long edge. Furniture dollies are another option once it's crated up.

I'm going to be able to bring it through a set of double doors very close to the final resting place. Once I get this home, total distance we have to move it is about 12'. Up one small step into the house.

You might need to use an A frame for transport. If you lay it flat I believe there is a danger of it cracking. in a truck bed or trailer.
I was hoping that I could just lay it flat on a pallet on my flatbed trailer. I've only have 2.5 miles to drive. Is setting it on an old mattress in the trailer a dumb idea?

I would use pallet, I had a double door gun safe built about 12 years ago. The builder delivered safe and used a pallet jack to move around. He had cribbing and sheets of aluminum to lay down so he didn't damage anything. I moved 5 years ago, borrowed a pallet jack and bought several sheets of 3/4" plywood, ripped most in half long ways. Laid them down and moved safe with ease. Didn't damage any thresholds or anything.

As an ex-mover I can tell you that stone and glass should always be properly crated or protected, transported on their edge and never laid flat. One good bump, pothole or curb shot and you could end up having 5 pieces of a formerly nice limestone slab. And a real pissed off attitude. And that's just getting out of the parking lot.

Reactions: Allagash350
You could build an A-frame cart with heavy duty wheels on the corners. This one is metal but you could make one out of 2x4's.
http://pic.stonecontact.com/picture...uartz-stone-transporter-frames-p610396-1b.jpg
View attachment 225292
I like this approach ^ ^ ^.
Where is this going? Is there floor framing adequate to support this and a stove?

I'm going to be able to bring it through a set of double doors very close to the final resting place. Once I get this home, total distance we have to move it is about 12'. Up one small step into the house.

I was hoping that I could just lay it flat on a pallet on my flatbed trailer. I've only have 2.5 miles to drive. Is setting it on an old mattress in the trailer a dumb idea?

Hmm, I would say yes. If you bounce a big stone slab that is only supported in the middle, it is going to flex and break. Transport it on edge in a crate if at all possible. You can easily break a big piece of stone or glass by transporting it flat and bouncing it up and down gently.

Yup, when you call a glazier, they always haul the glass on edge in those racks on the side of their van/truck

As an ex-mover I can tell you that stone and glass should always be properly crated or protected, transported on their edge and never laid flat. One good bump, pothole or curb shot and you could end up having 5 pieces of a formerly nice limestone slab. And a real pissed off attitude. And that's just getting out of the parking lot.

As a former mover who still works in the industry, I agree. In fact we typically sub out things like pool tables for that very reason, call any company in the area that sells or installs them and see what they would charge to move it. We learned the hard way it doesn’t take much to break slate, and marble too. We crate all marble or the customer has to sign a waiver.
If paying a pool company is not an option, build a crate for it

Thanks for all the good advice. It’s a cut piece. I live in limestone county.

Looks like I have a fun project.

Do you mind me asking how much you paid for that slab?
Slab cost me $250. It could have just been $150 but the wife wanted an arch on the front (pintrest must say squares are bad).

You could also cut it up into tiles before moving it. Transportation problem solved, and a bag of thinset is $15.
That might be what I have after my drive home. Limestone guy says I'll be fine with it laying flat. He'll support it with wood underneath and we'll strap it to the trailer. Fingers crossed.

Where is this going? Is there floor framing adequate to support this and a stove?

I had an existing brick hearth in front of my pre-fab. I'm putting a rear venting stove in front. I had to rip out old brick hearth (too tall and narrow). Family room is over a crawl space. Builder had already reinforced crawl space under this area with metal jacks. Good thing. Hearth will equal about 700lbs + stove at 550 lbs!!!

Frame is a 2x4's on end with OSB and cement board. Pic is not good, but you get the idea. Not I just have to get the limestone on there. hearth.jpg

Wife was very happy to see the nice comments. Next step will be to add the stone veneer over all the old brick and trim under the limestone.

Reactions: KennyK
Yeah boy, there she is, all in one piece...nice!
Thats gonna be real sharp when you are all done!

Wife was very happy to see the nice comments. Next step will be to add the stone veneer over all the old brick and trim under the limestone.

That stone in the corner is already looking sharp! Can't wait to see pictures of the final product!