Any bird gurus

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Diabel

Minister of Fire
Jan 11, 2008
Ottawa, ON
1BA69AE9-C389-415A-9480-2E90AE9839CD.jpeg
Any idea what kind of bird this is.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually thing it is a partridge. I was splitting wood today and I saw a live one walk by me and it looked very similar.

Juvenile male kestrel? More pics could help...

Dead bird?

First thought was partridge . . . well that's what folks call them around here, they're really a ruffled grouse.

yep youngster ruffled grouse wings are the give a way short and powerful wide tail for high mobility in flight, launch from under foot like a rocket ( sound about the same when not expecting it) and then turn into a high powered sports car making square corners around trees and such.

At first I thought (it was early in the morning) it was some sort of a hawk. The short legs looked odd for a hawk. Then I saw a live one (partridge/grouse same thing). Now I don’t feel so bad. Plenty of hear chickens around here.

yep youngster ruffled grouse wings are the give a way short and powerful wide tail for high mobility in flight, launch from under foot like a rocket ( sound about the same when not expecting it) and then turn into a high powered sports car making square corners around trees and such.

Yep we had one roosting in a pine next to the driveway for a few months. Wife got to witness me spilling hot coffee all over myself as he got me good as we were leaving for work. I had to promise on the spot not to eat her "New best friend".;lol They are pretty rare here now, usually see or hear only 1-2 a year.