any body have any idea what kind of wood this is

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bigdaddy100

Aug 9, 2020
pa
anyn body have any idea what kind of wood this is
I got a couple van loads i got for free i scored
wondering if its ok to burn in wood stove or fireplace
the wood i got was smaller logs that were mangable i left all the huge wood

264051990_6648024018602577_71495814699617403_n.jpg

Last edited:
Once it's dry, yes it's good to burn. It's wood and not rotten.
Split it, stack it, cover it, wait a year, or two, and burn it.

Reactions: woodey
A good chance it is ash. If so it is great firewood.

Reactions: jaoneill
Could also be Norway maple. More pics might confirm.

More than likely ash , if so split it and burn it . Good firewood . However , I agree could be Norway maple or possibly pignut .
I’ve cut so much dead ash here in mid Michigan ( and still cutting ) it’s a nice change to cut up something different .

Reactions: whatyousmokin
Very possible to be Norway Maple. The following description is from the link I posted. Bark texture alone is sometimes not enough to ID.

Diamond Patterned Bark
Ash trees can often be recognized by their diamond-patterned, furrowed bark. Bark texture is most distinct on mature white ash, as in the photo on the left. Green ash has less prominent furrows, and the bark of black ash is corky and scaly looking. The bark of young white ash is fairly smooth, as in the photo to the right. Bark of young green ash is somewhat furrowed, as in the photo on the far right. Several tree have bark that is easily confused with ash. Oak, Norway maple, and elm are commonly mistaken for ash when looking at bark textures. While many tree species share one or two of these characteristics, only ash has all of these characteristics: 1. opposite branches-opposite buds 2. compound leaves 3. diamond-patterned bark

Reactions: Dan Freeman
I was also thinking that one piece is some type of maple based on the markings on the face

I would have guessed norway maple from the bark but the wood itself looks ashy. Either way it's good wood although ash is better. I like norway maple for shoulder season wood.

Reactions: Dan Freeman
Ash is in the maple family, that's why it looks like Norway maple, they're cousins.

Reactions: stoveliker
Looks like ash to me.

I'm down with Norway Maple. Not as good burning as ash, but I wouldn't kick it out of the woodpile. FWIW, ash has a distinct smell when you split it, but I can't really describe it. It splits really easy with a mall. Norway Maple will split a little harder, but not particularly hard to split either. Ash will season quicker than the maple.