Any England's Stove Works Auger's in stock on Long Island?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bill3rail

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2012
LI, NY
The wife had filled the stove because she said it ran out of pellets. She restarted it, and when I rose from bed, it was not feeding pellets. I moved the upper auger, which felt like it was clogged. I moved the lower auger, and it felt strange.

I emptied the hopper and proceeded to remove both augers to clear the jam, and the end of my lower auger was broken. I am going to attempt to make it work for the -1 degree heat wave we are in right now.

I definitely need to replace the auger quickly.

So, back to my thread title, does anyone stock the lower auger on Long Island?
England's P/N PU-AF11B http://store.heatredefined.com/product_p/pu-af11b.htm

PU-AF11B-2.jpg

Bill "burning oil in Hicksville"

How do you break an auger?

Probably too late but they have a list of retailers by zip code on the website.

How do you break an auger?
Stupidity! I guess I did not line up the hold on the end of the auger with the collar bolt, and snapped the end.
Also, the collar was stripped, which I know I did NOT over tighten it.

A better question would be... HOW DO YOU FIX A BROKEN AUGER? Which I do not have an answer to yet.
I did not attempt to fix the auger yet, I will in the future, I did put a Heli-Coil in the collar and put it back together. It should hold until I get a new auger.

Bill

Probably too late but they have a list of retailers by zip code on the website.
They are mostly Homo Dopo's and Blowes stores. Other than mass retailers, there are no small stores around Long Island that may have parts.

Bill

I have a 2005 that had a little problem about 1 year after purchase. I filled the hopper before I went to bed on New Year’s night. I awoke about 10 am and as usual a check the stove and notice that the fire is inside the auger tube and the auger is not moving. There was no smoke in the hopper and I could hear the top auger motor feeding pellets. Both blower motors are going and the stove is running like nothing was wrong. I only had about ¼ hopper full of pellets. So I opened the hopper lid with great concern what might happen. I had a fire extinguisher and a small pot to empty the hopper real quick. After I emptied the hopper I just let it burn out. It shut down by itself.

As soon as it shut down I pulled the stove out and stared to look around for something. It did not take long to see what the problem was. What I found was the top wire for the bottom auger had been pulled off. This had me puzzled for a moment and then I noticed the wires were zip tied close to the motor. So I put the wire back on and pulled up on the motor like it had a jam and the wire pulled off. So I thought I had found the problem and decided to take the auger off. What I found was that ALL the bolts for the top and bottom augers were very loose. So loose that they were not sealing and I took pictures of everything to send to Englander. I took the top auger off first and it looked good. I took the bottom auger out and was amazed that the auger was melted in the middle were the pellets drop down on it. It had just the center shaft and was missing about 5 inches of the auger fins.

So this is where my story may relate to yours. I called Englander and told them my story and the tech put me on hold and I was connected to the head tech (mike?). He wanted me to send the pics of the zip ties , bolts, and the melted bottom auger. He said they will overnight me a complete setup for the bottom auger free of charge. And wanted the bottom auger mailed back to them. I asked if they ever had this happen before and he said no. He then told me how to check everything on the stove and if I found something wrong they would ship it out overnight free of charge. It had really bothered me that the auger had melted and asked again about it and he told me that my stove was different than most. They had decided to use – an Aluminum auger in it for a test. He said they were trying to extend the life of the auger motor by reducing the weight of the auger.

So I guess it is possible that you have an aluminum auger. I can see the aluminum auger breaking but the steel one would be tough to imagine how it broke.

As a side note: I changed everything on the bottom auger but the motor. I still have the motor for a spare. My 2005 stove still has all the original parts in it. I burn about 4 tons of pellets a year mixed with corn when it gets very cold. This stove is a work horse and would buy another. A clean stove is a happy stove.

I wish you luck on getting your part and get burning again.

Could you please post a few pics of the auger? Curious minds want to know what it looks like. I may have my pics somewhere. Will post them if I can find them.

I see you updated your post after I wrote this.

Either of these replacement part houses could have the part...you may want to call them direct to ensure the correct part. I'm sure next day delivery is available for a price.

http://www.pellet-stove-parts-4less.com/Englander_Pellet_stove_Replacement_Parts_s/707.htm

http://www.eastcoasthearth.com/collections/englander-pellet-stove-parts

Prior to my post here, I had done extensive internet searching, and found very few companies stock that item.

pellet-stove-parts-4less.com only has the older model auger.

eastcoasthearth.com states they have it, and it is in the same price range as from England's Stove Works. I figured it would be better to order from ESW, as the likelihood of being in stock would be greater.

As I stated earlier, I have temporarily fixed the stove, and I also ordered one from ESW, but I do not know when they will be shipping it. ESW is closed today 2/15 for president's day.

Thank you,

Bill

I have a 2005 that had a little problem about 1 year after purchase. I filled the hopper before I went to bed on New Year’s night. I awoke about 10 am and as usual a check the stove and notice that the fire is inside the auger tube and the auger is not moving. There was no smoke in the hopper and I could hear the top auger motor feeding pellets. Both blower motors are going and the stove is running like nothing was wrong. I only had about ¼ hopper full of pellets. So I opened the hopper lid with great concern what might happen. I had a fire extinguisher and a small pot to empty the hopper real quick. After I emptied the hopper I just let it burn out. It shut down by itself.

As soon as it shut down I pulled the stove out and stared to look around for something. It did not take long to see what the problem was. What I found was the top wire for the bottom auger had been pulled off. This had me puzzled for a moment and then I noticed the wires were zip tied close to the motor. So I put the wire back on and pulled up on the motor like it had a jam and the wire pulled off. So I thought I had found the problem and decided to take the auger off. What I found was that ALL the bolts for the top and bottom augers were very loose. So loose that they were not sealing and I took pictures of everything to send to Englander. I took the top auger off first and it looked good. I took the bottom auger out and was amazed that the auger was melted in the middle were the pellets drop down on it. It had just the center shaft and was missing about 5 inches of the auger fins.

So this is where my story may relate to yours. I called Englander and told them my story and the tech put me on hold and I was connected to the head tech (mike?). He wanted me to send the pics of the zip ties , bolts, and the melted bottom auger. He said they will overnight me a complete setup for the bottom auger free of charge. And wanted the bottom auger mailed back to them. I asked if they ever had this happen before and he said no. He then told me how to check everything on the stove and if I found something wrong they would ship it out overnight free of charge. It had really bothered me that the auger had melted and asked again about it and he told me that my stove was different than most. They had decided to use – an Aluminum auger in it for a test. He said they were trying to extend the life of the auger motor by reducing the weight of the auger.

So I guess it is possible that you have an aluminum auger. I can see the aluminum auger breaking but the steel one would be tough to imagine how it broke.

As a side note: I changed everything on the bottom auger but the motor. I still have the motor for a spare. My 2005 stove still has all the original parts in it. I burn about 4 tons of pellets a year mixed with corn when it gets very cold. This stove is a work horse and would buy another. A clean stove is a happy stove.

I wish you luck on getting your part and get burning again.

Could you please post a few pics of the auger? Curious minds want to know what it looks like. I may have my pics somewhere. Will post them if I can find them.

I see you updated your post after I wrote this.

My auger is made from steel, and not "melted".
The end of the auger was cracked, I'm sure by myself, during the last deep cleaning.

Bill

My auger is made from steel, and not "melted".
The end of the auger was cracked, I'm sure by myself, during the last deep cleaning.

Bill
I know your auger was not melted. I just wanted you and others to know that some were made of aluminum and could break or melt easily.

Good luck

I know your auger was not melted. I just wanted you and others to know that some were made of aluminum and could break or melt easily.

Good luck
Hopefully, they knew which ones were aluminum and replaced every one before failures caused problems...

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.