Any European wood burners?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sweedish

Feeling the Heat
Feb 6, 2019
Michigan
Just curious what the situation as far as wood burning for any European members, something more in depth other than what we gather from the news.

My dad is three years ahead, and gets his wood from his own cutting when asked at friend's places, or from a tree company (log length).

So no issue there.

Buying wood is expensive. But cheaper than electric heat (65-70 eurocent per kWh!) or nat. gas.

IF you can find wood at all to buy.

I hope it will not be as bad a winter as media is painting it in Europe. Lets hope not. Heating wise.

So far it's been warmer than usual.

Reactions: Diabel
I live in Hungary. American expat.

Weather has been very warm this Autumn. I have only needed to heat the house with the stoves 5 times so far this year.

Wood prices are up quite a lot recently. And sadly many people here buy fresh cut wood in the autumn only for that winter, and burn it wet all winter, so they will probably feel quite a pinch on this years heating (less so if they burned dry wood bought sooner..... but local tradition dies hard). However, it is important to note that the wood prices were already going up quite a lot even before Russia invaded Ukraine. So the smart should have bought earlier anyway.

Adding to that, the Hungarian Forint (HUF) is in free fall to other currencies so things are becoming quite expensive for those earners in HUF. My wife earns in HUF, I earn in USD, so I am sitting pretty at the moment. About-ish 15 years ago when the USD crashed, I was the one suffering. These things happen. Case study not to put your eggs all in one basket (ergo: I actually maintain bank accounts in three different currencies and try to keep a lot of wood in stock).

Hope this helps.