Any experiences with smart thermostats?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jharkin

Minister of Fire
Oct 21, 2009
Holliston, MA USA
Hey guys... been gone for a while but re stacked the woodshed the other day and thought of y'all ;)

So here is the deal... We have been doing a bunch more updates around the house and I got to reading some about smart thermostats and it got me to thinking. So far I haven't jumped on the smart home craze at all but I think I could see a use for a smart T-stat.

The situation: House is single zone gas steam heat. Plus the woodstove.

And of course the T-stat (an older Honeywell 7day programmable) is in the stove room:(

The heat is not all that even to begin with (in spite of a lot of re balancing of the radiators, insulating mains and updating the main vents ) and when the stove is lit its even worse of course, the far rooms and second floor can run 5-10 degrees colder. Sometimes I will solve that by shutting down the radiator in the stove room when its lit and manually forcing the heat on for 30min to even it out.

Reading about smart thermostats I am thinking that something like the Ecobee3, with its remote sensors and intelligent motioning, integration with weather forecasts... may help this. Im thinking with sensors in the rooms that run colder it may learn to average and automatically modulate the central heat to supplement the stove better and keep things more even. This would be a big help with WAF of the stove which has always been low around here because she doesn't like the wide temp variation.

Im also thinking it could cut costs along the way by better managing setback when we are out etc.. And do cool things like set the heat low (55) while on vacation and remotely turn it back on before we get home.

Down the road I also think that with its ability to tie into smart home platforms and use things like IFTTT rules I could rig something up with smart outlets and implement central control of our old school window AC units - something we cant do at all today. That would be a BIG win to be able to schedule AC with setbacks, etc

Anyway just thinking out loud right now. Looking for some real world experiences......

I can add that in my state the utility subsidies these so I can get one cheap to test out.

Seems like not much interest here, maybe I will be the guinea pig and see what it can do....

hi jeremy i don't own one but i have wired a few honeywell's. nice tv type color screens. and lots of nest tstats. once the nest is wired in sometimes a little rocky but not bad once you have it in correctly they work very nice my customers love them and if there is any type of issue that involves customer service they are great. if that helps any.

frank

I have the Ecobee Smart Thermo and love it.

Reactions: Ashful
I think that @woodgeek had some good things to report about the Ecobee in prior posts also.

I have the ol forced air oil guzzler as back up & for vacation time away in the winter. 4 top offs in 11 years ain't so bad. And the occasional lazy shoulder seasons. oil is so cheap, I can afford to be lazy.

Reactions: Highbeam
I know this has nothing to do with your question, jharkin, but why not relocate that thermostat to another room far from the stove, and just bypass / shut off the radiator in the stove room? Seems like it would balance your house a lot better, smart thermostat or not.