Any functional advantages of enamal vs. matte black for Jotuls???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WestVirginian

Nov 27, 2005
Hi everyone--

So I'm thinking of getting a Jotul Oslo 500. Now I just have to choose whether to get the matte black, or go with an enamel color. The matte black is $200 cheaper, but for something that I hope is going to be in our house for 25 years, I could splurge the extra $200 for the enamel.

My question is, other than aesthetics, are there any advantages/disadvantages to take into consideration when choosing the enamel, vs. unadulterated cast iron? I've heard of the enamel chipping. But it also seems like it could be easier to keep looking good. Some of the used cast iron stoves I've seen on eBay look a bit worn, and like they need some regular coatings of stove polish or paint.

And are there any functional differences in terms of radiating heat? Would the enamel ever reduce the amount of heat radiated?

Any other factors I haven't asked about that I should be considering?

Thanks so much for any information. Ian

Funtionality would be the same. I went with matte black. Like Henry Ford once said, They can have any color they want as long as its black.

You can buy soapstone in slabs, chunks, or pieces. Think about building your own soapstone top.

downeast said:

Go with the enamel. Flat black stoves begin to look ratty quickly if you're burning seriously, 24/7.
We've got a "blue-black" enamel Oslo. Easy to clean and looks fine over the burning season. Think about
the grunt of this iron: 400+ lbs. Do you want to lug it out to spray it even once/year ?
Yes, the enamel/porcelain will chip. Tip: get a non-enamel top for pots or water heating. It's simple to exchange.
%-P

Can't say that is the case here downeast. Burn 24/7 and still looks great into 5th season. And I have no intention to lug it outside to spray. Just my thoughts.

We've had both and now are sticking with enamel finshes. Enameled stoves continue to look sharp year after year. Unfinished stoves tend to attract dust and ash. Remember, it will be idle, collecting dust for 4-5 months of the year. Enameled stoves clean up in minutes with a damp towel. Our Jotul has the blue-black finish which gets a lot of compliments.

Status
Not open for further replies.