dialing in Jotul stove size for 27' Yurt in Driftless Area, Wisconsin

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rush River

Mar 15, 2019
Wisconsin
Seeking wisdom from my wood burning elders...

I am building a 27-ft insulated yurt in Driftless area of Western Wisconsin. We plan to use this off-grid yurt as a 4-season family cabin. Been researching lots of stove options for this cold climate where we had a few days down below -30F this year :)

Total square feet of our yurt is= 575, but from what I've read, I need to size up this stove to heat approx: 1500-1800 sq-ft in order to adequately heat this type of yurt with 7ft walls and 13'-ft ceiling height at the center. Based on this, I think need a stove capable of 50-60,000btu/hr. Sound Right?

My wife and I have narrowed down our core stove criteria:
-cast iron
-radiant heater
-non-cat
-large cooking surface
-rear vent option
-simple to use
-firebox ~2.0 cf
-decent overnight burn time
-durable without complicated parts that can break
-does not require electricity for fan in order to heat well

After reading many different reviews on this forum we have begun to focus on Jotul stoves since the seem very reliable and beautiful. We would really appreciate any input regarding size considerations between the Jotul F400 Castine vs F500 Oslo vs. F50 TL Rangeley

As of now, my inclination is that the F400 Castine is probably the right size. Only concern being ability to really heat up the yurt quickly on a bitterly cold day and maintain heat when out and about or overnight. The Oslo seems great for these reasons, but I am concerned about such a large beast for a 27' yurt. Same with the Rangeley, although the top load option and grill insert do seem pretty nifty...I wonder if we will really use these that much in practice.

Any input from veterans or yurt dwellers much appreciated.

Also, in our search for similar sized stoves we also considered these models, and would love any additional comments on our thought process
Napolean: Banff1100 vs Banff1400 (solid reviews, our runner up as of now)
VC: Encore vs VC Defiant 2in1 Flexburn (stylish cast irons with nice top load feature, however many fairly negative reviews on these particular stoves dissuaded us)
Quadrafire: Explorer II vs Explorer III (seems like a slightly more complicated stove to operate?)
-Morso 3110 vs 7110 (smaller fireboxes are a bummer)
-BK Ashford 20 vs Ashford 30 (catalytic, requiring more maintenance/ replacement eventually)

You are correct. It takes a lot of heat to warm up a yurt from the cold and the heat loss is high, even if the yurt is modestly insulated. The problem is that your area has some really extreme winter cold days. A friend has a 30' yurt heated with a Morso 2110. It's fine with 25-40º temps, but slower to warm up the place when it's below 20 and almost too hot when above 45º unless you feed the stove just a couple splits at a time. The F400 is not a bad choice. It's a size larger than the Morso 2110. It will heat down a bit colder and will have coals for relighting.

Some of the stoves you have listed are not highly radiant, especially those with a cast iron jacket around a steel stove like the Quad Explorer, BK Ashford, Jotul F45-55, Napoleon 1400c. These are more convective stoves which may actually work better for overall heating. The Jotul F45 might work and the Pacific Energy Alderlea T5 as well, but the Ashford and T5 are top venting. That is not the end of the world, so was the 2110. We put a 45 on the flue collar and offset to the thimble with another 45 there. It works pretty well.

Yurt stove.jpg

Reactions: SpaceBus
Cast clad in a tent? Believe I'd select a stove without. Mostly if you have intentions of weekend use requiring quick warmups. Just my opinion! Where are you planting this? I have a place in the Driftless on the Ia. Side. I fish year round there. It gets downright frigid!

Don't go by advertised BTU output, many are misleading. Go by firebox size, construction materials, and of course looks if you want to keep the lil woman happy.

hey guys,

great feedback. much appreciated. feeling validated in our decision to go with a solid cast iron radiator like jotul. talked to one of the jotul dealers in my area today, seeking more input on our final decision between F400 Castine vs F500 Oslo.

While the Castine seems about the right size on paper, the side loading door and larger firebox on the Oslo are big pluses. the dealer's point was that if we intend to use the top as a cook surface, the Oslo may make the room too hot to really want to cook much on it.

anyone with experience with an F400 vs F500 have a thought on that?

thanks again

You will need to choose what is most important based on your usage. How many really cold days will you be using the yurt? If a lot, then get a big stove like the Oslo. If not so much and mostly in spring thru fall, then maybe go smaller. The cooking part is a nicety but not a necessity. There are lots of good camping stoves you can use as an alternative. And certainly this is what you will use in milder weather.

Reactions: Osage
I am building a 27-ft insulated yurt in Driftless area of Western Wisconsin.
I lived in WI for 32 years; I didn't think there was any place up there that didn't get blowing snow. ;) Just kidding, I'm very familiar with that area. Absolutely gorgeous. My best bud up there lives in Cross Plains.

A radiant stove will feel warmer if the air isn't as warm as you would like it, as when you are warming the cold yurt.
Although you said non-cat, you mentioned the BKs so maybe you haven't totally ruled the cats out? If not, take a look at the Woodstock Absolute Hybrid. Secondary burn for quick heat, cat only burn when not as much heat is needed. And it's a radiant design. The basic version can be had pretty cheap, although I would go for the awesome grated ash-handling system as an option. Of course, the Jotuls also have that.
This stove is not the simplest, but may be the most versatile...

Seeking wisdom from my wood burning elders...

I am building a 27-ft insulated yurt in Driftless area of Western Wisconsin. We plan to use this off-grid yurt as a 4-season family cabin. Been researching lots of stove options for this cold climate where we had a few days down below -30F this year :)

Total square feet of our yurt is= 575, but from what I've read, I need to size up this stove to heat approx: 1500-1800 sq-ft in order to adequately heat this type of yurt with 7ft walls and 13'-ft ceiling height at the center. Based on this, I think need a stove capable of 50-60,000btu/hr. Sound Right?

My wife and I have narrowed down our core stove criteria:
-cast iron
-radiant heater
-non-cat
-large cooking surface
-rear vent option
-simple to use
-firebox ~2.0 cf
-decent overnight burn time
-durable without complicated parts that can break
-does not require electricity for fan in order to heat well

After reading many different reviews on this forum we have begun to focus on Jotul stoves since the seem very reliable and beautiful. We would really appreciate any input regarding size considerations between the Jotul F400 Castine vs F500 Oslo vs. F50 TL Rangeley

As of now, my inclination is that the F400 Castine is probably the right size. Only concern being ability to really heat up the yurt quickly on a bitterly cold day and maintain heat when out and about or overnight. The Oslo seems great for these reasons, but I am concerned about such a large beast for a 27' yurt. Same with the Rangeley, although the top load option and grill insert do seem pretty nifty...I wonder if we will really use these that much in practice.

Any input from veterans or yurt dwellers much appreciated.

Also, in our search for similar sized stoves we also considered these models, and would love any additional comments on our thought process
Napolean: Banff1100 vs Banff1400 (solid reviews, our runner up as of now)
VC: Encore vs VC Defiant 2in1 Flexburn (stylish cast irons with nice top load feature, however many fairly negative reviews on these particular stoves dissuaded us)
Quadrafire: Explorer II vs Explorer III (seems like a slightly more complicated stove to operate?)
-Morso 3110 vs 7110 (smaller fireboxes are a bummer)
-BK Ashford 20 vs Ashford 30 (catalytic, requiring more maintenance/ replacement eventually)
Hello from Buffalo County!
Question: Do you plan to use the Yurt in the wintertime? If so, I would go with the Oslo. You can always build a smaller fire in it and dial it down in the fall and spring. I burn wood in this area full time so I knowIt gets very cold here as you know. Several years ago I bought a stove that was a little too small for my full time needs and now I will be upgrading this off-season to a Jotul. You will probably have to order it as the Jotul dealers near me are sold out. I don't know about the one in Rochester, Mn though.

I will be upgrading this off-season to a Jotul. You will probably have to order it as the Jotul dealers near me are sold out. I don't know about the one in Rochester, Mn though.
If he's close to Madison, I think there may be a dealer there...

Last edited:
In my 14 by 32 foot living room of 448 Square feet I have a Jotul 500. When it is 25 outside and we use the central air fan to circulate the heat, we can keep the hallway at 75 degrees when it is 25 outside.
Your 27 foot wide yurt has an area of 3.14 times (13 squared) = 3.14 * 169 = 531 square feet.

Given the facts of down to -30 below F and going into a cold yurt, I would choose the Jotul 600 for the additional heating ability. The Jotul 500 would be good, 600 is better.

Reactions: Newburnerwisconsin
I remember a show where a couple built an off grid yurt that size in the Montana mountains, it was insulated well and they installed a BK King, a couple years later they built a small house and said they were cold all winter in the yurt. Get as much firepower as you can.

I remember a show where a couple built an off grid yurt that size in the Montana mountains, it was insulated well and they installed a BK King, a couple years later they built a small house and said they were cold all winter in the yurt. Get as much firepower as you can.
We had record snow here. I am talking several feet. I wonder how that Yuet will hold up under such conditions? I would go with the Jotul F55. Meets thier criteria. All that snow on the roof would sure bother me though.

Our friend's yurt had over 24" of heavy snow on it in February. They still have 10" on the ground in front of the yurt in spite of warm March days. I don't recall them cleaning off the top, but will ask. Theirs is a Rainier yurt. There are alpine yurts that are engineered for heavy snow load if this is a concern.
https://www.coloradoyurt.com/yurts/wind-snow/

Reactions: Newburnerwisconsin
I own an F400 and it’s works great. I don’t like the smaller firebox and how it gets shorter the further back in the box you go. A1.8 cu ft firebox isn’t very big. Like others have said you can burn smaller fires or lower btu wood but you can’t stretch your firebox. I’d be ruling out the F400. There are just a lot of variables and the cost difference isn’t that much to get a bigger stove.

Reactions: 2fireplacesinSC
Our friend's yurt had over 24" of heavy snow on it in February. They still have 10" on the ground in front of the yurt in spite of warm March days. I don't recall them cleaning off the top, but will ask. Theirs is a Rainier yurt. There are alpine yurts that are engineered for heavy snow load if this is a concern.
https://www.coloradoyurt.com/yurts/wind-snow/

Yes, we had ton of snow out here this year. Many collapsed barns and sheds in the area. In fact we decided to go with Colorado Yurts for this reason, with the full wind+snow package you mention. It has 2x6 rafters and full studs so I think we should be good to go... (famous last words).

Thanks to lots of great input on here, I think we are moving towards the F500, I found a dealer here in Minneapolis who gave me what appears to be a fair quote, since the yurt isn't build yet we have a few months to shop around for best deal and/or change our mind a few more times :)

The Driftless area is the region in WI, MN, IA, and IL that remained unglaciated in the last ice age, so it has many valleys and rivers and other unique geographic features...lots of hardwood forest, and good fishing