Any glaring issues with this potential stove hearth/platform as it exists currently?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Marconis

Dec 13, 2021
NY
Morning! When we moved into our house last year, my wife and I have never quite agreed on the path forward for an existing platform for a wood burning stove. I don’t know what is under the hearth tile (wood, cement board?) and I’m fairly certain that there is brick behind the 4” wall tile. The chimney opening is currently covered with a stainless steel plate. The chimney itself needs some work; definitely repointing, and maybe even some rebuild at the top. We had the crown rebuilt last year just to keep water from leaking down. There’s rotten sheathing behind the chimney bricks due to leaky flashing that makes its way down into the basement during extremely heavy rains, so I’ll probably have to repair that, too. Will need a liner.

I guess what I am asking, is, how functional and “ready to use” does this area for a potential stove look? We don’t have a back door and we’ve been considering demolishing this chimney to make room for one in the dining room, but we also want a wood stove to compliment our open fireplace and don’t want to reinvent the wheel, so to speak, by relocating it somewhere else.

Thoughts?

CCE8D6BE-A780-45AB-A918-6918B4577BFD.jpeg 7BD5D36B-AE5C-4510-AC12-93C0995ADDD7.jpeg 56A211D2-E30E-4BC4-90FE-41FF3587AAB4.jpeg F616B406-FF28-4955-91CD-962F3C1F243F.jpeg

That depends on what the stove requirements are regarding insulation value underneath. So we can't say.
Some only need ember protection. Some need a certain R value between stove and combustibles.

Any new stove would be working better with an insulated stainless liner in the chimney. This also may be needed for safety (and code); if you don't know for sure all combustibles are at least 1" removed from the outside masonry of the chimney.

That depends on what the stove requirements are regarding insulation value underneath. So we can't say.
Some only need ember protection. Some need a certain R value between stove and combustibles.

Any new stove would be working better with an insulated stainless liner in the chimney. This also may be needed for safety (and code); if you don't know for sure all combustibles are at least 1" removed from the outside masonry of the chimney.

Ok, thanks. So I guess I need to start researching some stoves and then start to get these questions answered. Had a feeling. Was just wondering if anything immediately looked like a no-go.

Appreciate it!

The platform looks small to (given clearances). But that might be just the pic

The crock is rather low, suggesting you need a rear exhaust stove.

Finding a stove that checks all the right boxes for clearances, flue exit height, hearth requirements, etc. could be challenging unless the thimble is raised. If the desire is to put in a doorway, then it would be good to consider a quality insert in the fireplace as strong alternative.