any good computer guys out their?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

zrock

Minister of Fire
Dec 2, 2017
bc
I have a fairly new laptop and samsung 27" computer monitor hooked up via HDMI. About once a week when i wake up the computer the monitor will start to wake up but i get no picture. I cannot power it down but i can play with the settings and such via the menu on the monitor. Only way to get the picture is to pull the power plug and plug it back in and then it is fine for another week.. Been looking online but have not found a solution.. THe laptop is awake and when i open the laptop the screen is working their..

Wondering if i hooked up to a docking station it would fix things or is their something im missing somewhere?

Look at the power settings in the laptop. It may be"asleep" and the power cycle on the monitor wakes it up. The randomness is a little strange though. A dock MIGHT help but that's not a cheap test. When it does its trick look at the laptop, there may be a function key to switch screens. If you have one try that as well.

Reactions: Dataman
Does using the key combination windows+shift+p and selecting duplicate have any effect.

This is short cut to select your presentation display mode hence the p.

Reactions: Pinesmoke
hitting anything on the keyboard or swapping cales has no effect, i can unplug the HDMI and plug it back in and does not change anything. It seems to be something on the monitor side since it will wake up but the screen is blank.. Seems to be a common issue on the higher end samsung monitors but not the mid range. After searching i did find a post that said to shut of the HDR settings so we will see if that changes anything, but since it is so random it will be a week before i see if it does anything. Think ill open a case with samsung today since its only 2 months old and so is the laptop.

Reactions: Pinesmoke
What operating system is the laptop running? What brand of video card is the laptop using? What resolution are you using?

There is a flaw in some HDMI drivers that can cause symptoms like that. There's a handshake between the monitor and the video driver that occasionally fails when the monitor wakes up. I've seen it mostly on nVidia video cards/drivers, on Windows and on Linux. I don't use anything Apple, so I don't know if it shows up there. I do also use a couple of different versions of BSD, and have not seen it on them. I've also sometimes seen it between my 4K DVD player and my TV set. It's more common at 4K resolution than at 2K. Most of the time telling the display to turn off and back on is enough to resync, but some display devices maintain too much state information in sleep mode and have to be disconnected/reconnected from mains power.

You could try updating the video driver on the laptop, and/or the firmware on the display (if it can be updated). If you are displaying in 4K or better, a 4K/8K-rated cable sometimes helps. The problem has been around for years, though, so it might not be fixable.

This may sound stupid, or you may have already tried this, but totally unplug and plug in all monitor cords and make sure there are no kinks. The weirdest things can happen when they are mostly plugged in.

If nothing else happens, it may be some sort of slight issue with the connection. I had a monitor on my desktop computer that would occasionally not wake up, or suddenly go blank in the middle of a session. If I just moved the electrical cord, just right, it would come back on. At the same time, if I just rebooted, that would normally solve the issue for a short time too. Once I replaced that monitor, the issue went completely away.

My previous work lap top would also have occasional issues with 1 monitor but not the other (hooked up thru a docking station). All connections were tight. When I started WFH, they only allowed us to bring 1 monitor home. I brought the good monitor with me and ordered another monitor that matched. I didn't have any issues after that. Something about that 1 monitor was the culprit.

Looks to be a nividia graphics card, win 11, 1920x1080. Interesting thing i just noticed is me and my kid have the exact same laptop and theirs has totally different software for the graphics and a few other controls.

Reactions: bogieb
looks like i may have found the issue i shut off one of the HDR setting and i have not had issues since.. In reality i notice no difference between with or without HDR.

HDR signals provide more bits of information per pixel than non-HDR signals. HDR displays should be backward compatible with non-HDR signals, but non-HDR displays can't handle HDR signals.

HDR support is supposed to be negotiated over the connection. Probably the video card can supply HDR, but the display can't handle it, and one of them is not implementing the handshake correctly.

HDR makes a very large difference in picture quality (more than the difference between 2K and 4K) on displays that fully support it, like most OLED televisions and some other higher end devices. Some manufactures build displays to accept HDR signals even if the display ignores the extra information - they're trying to convince buyers that they are getting something that they aren't.

I have a laptop than insists that one of my monitors has a speaker, even through it doesn't.

I noticed that speaker things as well.. Im thinking its a software conflict on the laptop, I have the exact same laptop that i purchased for my daughter a year ago and they are identical in every way. Only difference is hers has a software package/driver for the monitor/computer that mine did not come with or install. Been meaning to grab hers and see what it was and try to manually DL it. Only thing that was different between the 2 is where i purchased them from. The software is not a huge issue as this gaming laptop is way more than what i need but watching the sales i got them way cheaper than a similar "non" gaming laptop.