Any good EPA stoves,$1000 and under ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HDRock

Minister of Fire
Oct 25, 2012
Grand Blanc, Mi
Title

Englander.

How big ya want it? New or Used?

Tractor Supply has some nice stoves under 1000. Personally, I think you can always get a better deal with a used wood stove if you are under a certain budget.

englander nc 30 is a awesome stove fore the money

It s the England Stove Works 30-NCH as well as the Summers Heat 50-SNC30 depending on where you buy it.

Pete

you can drive yo jersey and buy my new in box nc-30 for a smoking deal heheh

I paid 699 for my Englander from the local Hom Depot.

I got my Century insert from Ace for $929 with the fascia. Heats the whole 1100 sq ft main level of my house great, and if I run my furnace fan it'll take the chill off the basement too.

Let's say that I got a Englander 30 or something similar with a six-inch outlet with what I have. Would this be any kind of a problem?
My pipe/chimney is 8'' straight up about 15ft from top of stove, to top of chimney, singlewall stovepipe, steel chimney

I paid 699 for my Englander from the local Hom Depot.
Yeah, I saw they had some deals on those in Mar 2012.
It's kind of strange HD sells woodstoves, but no stove pipe or much of anything else at all for them.

Let's say that I got a Englander 30 or something similar with a six-inch outlet with what I have. Would this be any kind of a problem?
My pipe/chimney is 8'' straight up about 15ft from top of stove, to top of chimney, singlewall stovepipe, steel chimney
You might have a weak draft.

Right now you are running a monster pre-EPA stove. Tell us a little about that stove. I know it has a huge firebox at around 6 cu ft. But, what are the burn times?

What do you need from a stove?
How drafty is your home? Be honest as it is helpful.

With your budget, you are looking at an Englander 30 or the US Sove company and Drolet equivalent. These aren't bad stoves by any means.

And, as others have mentioned, you can buy used. But buying used is a tougher process to take on.

If you want HDRock I can come look over where you want it installed and give you some advise on the best way to do it. I may be able to get Dennis ( BackwoodsSavage ) to tag along. My friend has a 1800 SQ ft stove for sale I can ask about as well.

Pete

I am heating 1600+sq' with a 30NC and my home is rather drafty. I have zero vested interest in the company other than personal experience and I am rather certain there are = or possibly better stoves available as there are many stove companies producing quality solid fuel appliances. Some may appeal to you more from an asthetic/cosmetic value but you will be hard pressed to find more heat at any price pound for pound. Even if you purchase the stove at full retail(around 1100.00) Quality of construction is a non-issue as I am a welder by trade and find this to be a very solid, well built appliance and believe me I am very critical of welds!!

My chimney set up sounds very similar to yours and our climate is ecentially equal - I am near Brighton, MI.

I have a total of about 16' straight up through the house with the first 6' being 6" DBL wall going into the TPL wall class A 8" chimney. Everything is Duravent stainless and I had the chimney professionally installed last September. My biggest concern with the switch to an EPA stove with 6" outlet was draft and I have had zero draft issues even in the shoulder season with warmer temps. I just light it and it goes right up - no flue pre-heat needed.

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions - I am by no means an expert and this is my first season with this new stove but I may be able to help based on our location and climate. Or just keep posting here as there is somewhat of a cult following on this site for the 30 and many burning the stove to heat there homes.

Bob Urban

Reactions: HDRock
Or just keep posting here as there is somewhat of a cult following on this site for the 30 and many burning the stove to heat there homes.

Bob Urban
Cult? I think we're much more dedicated that :)

[

I guess they have it online, but they have hardly anything, no black stove pipe at all in any of the local stores

Right now you are running a monster pre-EPA stove. Tell us a little about that stove. I know it has a huge firebox at around 6 cu ft. But, what are the burn times?
What do you need from a stove?
How drafty is your home? Be honest as it is helpful.

With your budget, you are looking at an Englander 30 or the US Sove company and Drolet equivalent. These aren't bad stoves by any means.

And, as others have mentioned, you can buy used. But buying used is a tougher process to take on.

I'm not sure why you need this info but, My stove is an old Fire View that is no longer made, there is a couple of links in my signature to the only information I can find on the stove.
With information online, How to calculate a cylinder, I came up with 9.5 ft.³ for the firebox, in the PDF It says they made and 8 ft.³ firebox. So I think that's what it is.
It has a collapsible steel door that you pull up to cover the glass.
The best way to run it is with the steel door up so you can choke it down and get a long burn, then you close the little door on top(see pic). It has a sliding air intake at the back, bottom left, and a damper in the flue pipe.
I am pretty sure my chimney is DuraVent and is stainless steal, is a twist lock deal, it doesn't have an air space like the Dura plus,that I put in my pole barn.
Edit:chimney pipe is measured on the inside correct?
A big load in the cold weather will burn about six or seven hours, a medium-load about four hours, small fire a couple of hours.
My house is actually pretty drafty, with the wind blowing in the middle of the winter you can tell it.I think my house was built sometime in the 50s, but has been remodeled and added onto,It's 1300 ft.².
I'm not sure what you mean by, what do I need from a stove?
I have looked at used stoves on craigslist, but the only information they give you about the stove is the name of it, not what type of stove. It is whether it is an EPA stove or not, just going by the name, and a model number. I had no idea what it is, I guess I would have to research each individual one.

IMG_20121109_051701.jpgIMG_20121102_000821.jpg

If you want HDRock I can come look over where you want it installed and give you some advise on the best way to do it. I may be able to get Dennis ( BackwoodsSavage ) to tag along. My friend has a 1800 SQ ft stove for sale I can ask about as well.

Pete

Thank you Pete, I appreciate that, but I can't afford a new stove right now.
Mostly I am just trying to get an education, and learn about the newer stoves and, maybe I will be able to afford a new one next year, but I don't want to have to put in a different chimney, there's nothing wrong with the one I have.

Reactions: Pallet Pete
It may work with the current chimney. If performance is marginal consider adding another length of pipe to the existing class A pipe. Watch for sales starting in late Jan at the big box stores. They start clearing out stoves to make room for lawn mowers and BBQs in late winter.

+1 for the Englander NC30... when they show up on Craigslist, they seem to go in the $400-500 range.

Status
Not open for further replies.