Any harm in too much air?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

guitarjamman

Sep 26, 2013
Central MA
I know having the damper shut too far will produce a lazy and dirty flame, but what risks do you run with the damper too far open? Can this also cause a creosote build up?

I am waiting on my mag gauge but want to err on the side of caution while I await its arrival.

too far open tends to produce the cleanest burn, but not the hottest. plus, you risk the 'blow out' factor.

I find I burn about 30% more pellets at wide open vs 15% closed. after 15% closed, the flame gets lazy on higher settings.

also extra air must be heated before it goes up the chimney . even if you supplied the exact amount of oxygen for complete combustion ...you already pay the penalty of 79% nitrogen being heated and sent up the chimney

Status
Not open for further replies.