Any ideas on fixing a bent bar?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DougA

Minister of Fire
Dec 13, 2012
S. ON
My chainsaw bar is over a year old and gone through a lot of firewood so I can't complain. I didn't jam it downing a tree but I was cutting a big fallen trunk that was shredded in a wind storm and I've had problems in the same thing before. The broken shards jam when you're cutting through and the pressure on the break gets released and it gets stuck.
Anyway, I know for sure the chain is sharp and its definitely not the chain. The saw is now cutting in a'C' angle when you are using the sweet spot on the bar. Toward the end, it cuts perfectly. Any suggestions how to fix a bent bar? A new one is $70.Cdn and money is tight right now.
I'm not optimistic but I thought it was worth a try posting.

Bent bars are usually toast; chains can be quickly ruined on one. Look at bars at Bailey's online for better prices.

Thanks for the suggestion. I went on their site and their Oregon bar is more expensive than buying a Stihl from the local dealer when you factor in the exchange rate.
I guess I have to bite the bullet and find the $$.
Another way to look at it - a new bar is the same cost as a full tank of gas a few months ago.

Canadian tire sells Oregon bars and chains for most brands. Price not too bad

Are you sure it's bent? When was the last time you dressed the rails?

Reactions: Jon1270
Are you sure it's bent? When was the last time you dressed the rails?
Last week I filled the bar. Bought a new one this afternoon.
I used to use Oregon bars & chains on my Poulan a decade ago. Good for the Poulan and cheaper but half the speed when cutting.

Oregon bars do wear quicker. But I have no problems with their chain. Especially in the cut fast department.

Look on eBay as well there is always good stuff there. Once the bar is bent it is just about impossible to ever get straight again. You will probably spend more time and money just trying to fix it. Do you anyone with some used bars. Just another thought, would be cheaper and used bars if taken care of are the same as new bars they are just missing the new paint.

Put the new one on and everything working fantastic again. Found a new bar that was still at the old prices so it wasn't so bad. Everything here going up in $$ with the Cdn dollar down the toilet.

Put the new one on and everything working fantastic again. Found a new bar that was still at the old prices so it wasn't so bad. Everything here going up in $$ with the Cdn dollar down the toilet.
Straighten the old one on a stump with a hammer.
Don't hit the edges,or you will have to open the groove for the chain.Use your eye to see if it's straight.Bars are to expensive to toss for a little bend.I've straightened lots.

Even a good vise......

Straighten the old one on a stump with a hammer.
Don't hit the edges,or you will have to open the groove for the chain.Use your eye to see if it's straight.Bars are to expensive to toss for a little bend.I've straightened lots.
I have straightened many on the concrete floor backed up with two 2x4s spaced correctly. Using a 2-8# hammer . Use your eye and ruler to get correct. Straightened some that were pretty bad and never had a failure, as long as that was the only problem. Bend near or at sprocket tip end is questionable?

Status
Not open for further replies.