Any info on American Wood Fiber Pellets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RKS130

Minister of Fire
Oct 14, 2011
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
Our local Home Depot has pellets from American Wood Fibers, labeled "Premium" at 197 per ton. I am new to this, so has anyone had experience with their pellets?

Much obliged.

Interested to know who has tried these pellets as well...at first I thought you were referring to "Wood Fibers, inc." pellets, which was what my HD was selling at $197 per ton, but it looks like there is also an "American Wood Fibers" pellet manufacturer out there as well.

Here is their website, summarizing their pellet product:

http://www.awf.com/american_wood_fibers_home_heating.htm

I've used them for 4 years; no problems. Dexter mentioned that he had a ton w/ very long pellets, but received good customer service upon contacting the co. OUr HD has them for 177/ton! Means picking up 8 bags each time I go to the grocery. Oink.

Sounds like a no brainer to me. As I mentioned in another post, our new Accentra freestanding w/OAK was installed day before yesterday. Not 20 minutes after the install crew left I received an oil delivery of a paltry 131.2 gallons, but at $3.899 per gallon, or 511 dollars, or the cost of over 2 tons of pellets.

I figure in cold weather that amount of oil will last - at the very very most - 3 weeks, or 21 days. That comes out to about $24 par day for heat. Seems like the stove will heat the house just fine at no more that $8 a day, assuming 2 bags per in really cold weather. As my kids say "Duh".

By the way, the driver of the oil delivery truck is the son of the owner of the company he works for and he heats with pellets!!

I just started burning this year and have gone through about 5 bags of AWF no problem. The only thing to note is that the last bag I put in burns way hotter than the others. The temperature just skyrocketed. I hadn't changed any stove settings. Anyone else notice a differance bag to bag? If the rest of them burn like this I'm going to have a happy wife for sure.

I used the AWF and Green Teams last winter. They both did well and were so close to each other that at $197 a ton would load up for the winter with either one. The AWF really burned clean in my stove and most I used was not much more than a bag and half a day in the coldest part of the winter. For that price, I wouldn't wait much longer to stock up! Just my .02

Yep... I had bought a Large quantity last year and the pellets averaged 2"-3" in length. Numerous shutdowns due to pellets bridging the auger. 2 emails and a phone call later, I had a TSC gift card which resulted in me purchasing more AWF's. Much shorter and hotter (more pellets per auger turn. More heat) I now have about a dozen bags in my basement now. Gave them a 2nd chance and glad I did. They are a good pellet. Especially for the price.

Plenty of reviews on AWF.. Go to search box and put in American Wood Fibers or AWF

Burnt them last year, liked them good heat moderate ash. Pellets seemed to be a consistent length no long ones
am finishing burning what I have left. Couldn't find them this year but would have purchased them again.

Status
Not open for further replies.