Any info on volume of sales by manufacturer or type (cat vs noncat)?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mar13

Minister of Fire
Nov 5, 2018
California redwood coast
This is purely just a curiosity question and of no practical significance (besides maybe finding spare parts), but another thread mentioned the volume sales of say, Travis & VC versus that of Woodstock.

I also saw somewhere that 80% of sales are noncat.

Is there any easily accessible information out there on the web that describes the rankings of who sellls the most stoves in North America? And about cats vs noncats?

IIRC the 20% number came from HPBA. This of course is a changing number with new cat solutions coming for the 2020 requirement.

I find it very interesting how so many companies spent years bashing cat stoves and showing off these number, trying to prove non-cat is preferred and the only way to go. Now they are eating their words big time! Many manufacturers are now adding cats to their stoves and are talking it up now! I’ve enjoyed seeing it.

Reactions: lsucet and Highbeam
The next few years are going to be interesting.

A bit off topic, but I wonder how much stove replacement catalysts will be affected by the cost of precious metals. I had a brother in law in the suburbs of SF Bay Area discover that his catalytic converter of his minivan had been cut out and stolen. Apparently not an uncommon crime. Sold for the metals, not the part.

A bit off topic, but I wonder how much stove replacement catalysts will be affected by the cost of precious metals. I had a brother in law in the suburbs of SF Bay Area discover that his catalytic converter of his minivan had been cut out and stolen. Apparently not an uncommon crime. Sold for the metals, not the part.
While cats from stoves aren’t worth money as scrap metal like cats from cars are. The cost will be substantial to replace the cat in a lot of these hybrids. So far, cats haven’t held up too well as a whole in the hybrids that have been out for a while. Many of the new stoves use a very large cat, I expect them to be very pricey. Just ask one of the manufacturers what the cost of the new cat will be. They can’t answer that, because they are scared to say!

While cats from stoves aren’t worth money as scrap metal like cats from cars are. The cost will be substantial to replace the cat in a lot of these hybrids. So far, cats haven’t held up too well as a whole in the hybrids that have been out for a while. Many of the new stoves use a very large cat, I expect them to be very pricey. Just ask one of the manufacturers what the cost of the new cat will be. They can’t answer that, because they are scared to say!

What’s this about poor cat life in hybrids? Have you seen this with the Woodstock hybrids or maybe more with the stoves from those other larger companies?

I can’t imagine a manufacturer not providing the price for replacement cats. They are definitely a wear item and you really need this price when considering a purchase.

What’s this about poor cat life in hybrids? Have you seen this with the Woodstock hybrids or maybe more with the stoves from those other larger companies?

I can’t imagine a manufacturer not providing the price for replacement cats. They are definitely a wear item and you really need this price when considering a purchase.
There’s some chatter about poor cat life on the Woodstock’s. They can’t keep cats in stock after all...
I don’t think there are enough Lopi hybrids reporting to know for sure. The Regency hybrid didn’t do well, they supposedly have it fixed though. The new Jotul uses a V3 cat that’s encased in a Skamol refractory assembly and its huge, no price on the replacement of all that yet. It will be rather pricey I’m betting!

Reactions: Highbeam
What's a V3 cat? Does you company sell Jotul?

Any chance of you trying one out?

And a Lopi, at least for the moment.

;lol You should put wheels on your stoves.

;lol You should put wheels on your stoves.
I agree! With an escalera and a roller board handy it’s about the same thing! I’m always eager to try the next stove, especially if it’s something new! That’s cost me a lot of money over the years, these new stoves coming out might be where I draw the line. The cape cod cost me dearly, I don’t want a repeat performance...

Reactions: bholler
That’s cost me a lot of money over the years, these new stoves coming out might be where I draw the line. The cape cod cost me dearly, I don’t want a repeat performance...
I can appreciate that.

There’s some chatter about poor cat life on the Woodstock’s. They can’t keep cats in stock after all...
I don’t think there are enough Lopi hybrids reporting to know for sure. The Regency hybrid didn’t do well, they supposedly have it fixed though. The new Jotul uses a V3 cat that’s encased in a Skamol refractory assembly and its huge, no price on the replacement of all that yet. It will be rather pricey I’m betting!
The only problem regency had was with the insert. And it was fixed within the first year.

Reactions: webby3650
I agree! With an escalera and a roller board handy it’s about the same thing! I’m always eager to try the next stove, especially if it’s something new! That’s cost me a lot of money over the years, these new stoves coming out might be where I draw the line. The cape cod cost me dearly, I don’t want a repeat performance...
I totally agree i wont be buying any of the new stuff to start off. And honestly we wont sell the new stoves untill they are proven. We will just sell the pro line for a year or 2.

Reactions: webby3650
I totally agree i wont be buying any of the new stuff to start off. And honestly we wont sell the new stoves untill they are proven. We will just sell the pro line for a year or 2.

What's "the pro line"?

What's "the pro line"?
Regencies hybrid line that has been out for a few years now. The 5100 the 3500 and the insert I think is 2700 and there is a Hampton version.

That’s cost me a lot of money over the years, these new stoves coming out might be where I draw the line. The cape cod cost me dearly, I don’t want a repeat performance...
C'mon, man, with all the deals you stove-installer guys run across, you gotta be making money hand over fist! Surely, you can still afford a stove here and there. ;)

C'mon, man, with all the deals you stove-installer guys run across, you gotta be making money hand over fist! Surely, you can still afford a stove here and there. ;)
I don’t get that good of a deal!

The majority of the used stoves at least I come across are not worth much more than scrap