Any Juniper fans here?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

turn_n_burn

Burning Hunk
Aug 14, 2015
Idaho
I have recently been able to get a line on some Western Juniper to be cut down. I've burned it before, but can't seem to find much info on it. I know it's popular in central Oregon. Just wondering what the BTU rating was and how it compares to Tamarack, and if it is considered a smelly wood or not.

Reactions: edge-of-the-woods
I have recently been able to get a line on some Western Juniper to be cut down. I've burned it before, but can't seem to find much info on it. I know it's popular in central Oregon. Just wondering what the BTU rating was and how it compares to Tamarack, and if it is considered a smelly wood or not.
https://chimneysweeponline.com/howood.htm

BTU value is listed in the column on the right.

Juniper firewood is okay (chart says 19.5 btu rating), but getting the tree to firewood - not so easy. Juniper in Idaho isn't really a tree - it is a shrub, 12-15 feet tall with many branches. There is about 3 or 4 medium rounds per tree and a maybe 10 smaller pieces of burnable wood. I think the wood grows spiral like. I've heard others say juniper is hard on chains because the bark has dirt and grit in it.

Now compare this to a mature Lodgepole pine (~btu 18). Lodgepole grows at a higher elevation than juniper. An 80 foot lodgepole will have the lower two thirds with no limbs. The bark is minimal and flaky. So, with a sharp chain and a decent chainsaw you can cut up 30 medium & large rounds in a reasonable time. The grain is straight so splitting is easy.

It is funny that BLM (the bureau of land management) has a no limit harvest on juniper - help yourself to as much as you want to harvest. 30 trees to get a cord of firewood?

Yup! I love burning Juniper. But like mentioned, it's a PITA to cut and process (and I have access to 100+ acres of it).

So when I found a guy selling split juniper for $75 a cord last year, I bought all he had :D (which was only a couple cords :( )

byQ, do I need to get a cutting permit to get Juniper like I would if cutting down a pine? Owyhee county isn't that far from Payette, and I wouldn't mind the extra work to cut and process it. Any areas you know of nearby where you could recommend finding it? Most of what I know is out towards Silver City and Grandview.

byQ, do I need to get a cutting permit to get Juniper like I would if cutting down a pine? Owyhee county isn't that far from Payette, and I wouldn't mind the extra work to cut and process it. Any areas you know of nearby where you could recommend finding it? Most of what I know is out towards Silver City and Grandview.
I don't know your area, sorry. Call BLM and the forest service. That is what I did. Blm manages the lower areas and the forest service handles the higher elevations. Most of the bigger trees are in the higher elevations.

I burn a lot of Juniper. $10 per cord for permits from BLM here; dead trees only. We have a lot of big dead Junipers less than 5 miles from my house. I can cut close to a cord in only a few hours with a helper.

I drove down thru Winnemucca and Reno on my way to Monterey last year, there looked to be a lot of primo juniper down there. I found an area in Idaho that has quite a few of them, as well as mountain mahogany, which is the 2nd densest wood in north america, next to ironwood, which I saw a lot of on the great basin highway by Ely this year coming back from Vegas (we like Nevada a lot). Plus, I have relatives that live in Fallon, which isn't too far from you. One of these days I will get around to driving the Lincoln highway (otherwise known as the loneliest road in America). Looked amazing! Cheers!

I'm just liking this because I took out about 2,000 square feet of juniper on our property, and it is the devil. Yay for burning it!

It is definitely a problem up here, and seems to spread like wildfire. Our BLM in Idaho is in the middle of a campaign to remove it from one and a half million acres of rangeland. I'm told they have such a hard time with it they literally have to sweep up the cutting sites or it will spring up everywhere. Every seed has to be eliminated. I guess it crowds out other native plants like no other. But, hey, it burns like the milltails of hell and smells great, so why not?

Status
Not open for further replies.