Any pics of homemade fire tending tools?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
I weld and relish the thought of throwing away my el-cheapo fireplace tools and making my own tools for my wood stove. I know I need an ash rake, and maybe a log poker or tongs? Anybody have any pics or links to homemade tools? I have lots of rebar and thought I could make something useful out of them besides a log holder.

I made a poker for my boiler last winter out of a piece of rebar (poked into the coal until it was red hot and then bent over), but it didn't survive the summer. I needed a piece of rebar to prop up my wife's clothesline (don't ask), so now it's embedded in concrete about a foot underground. Found an old coal poker in the basement that works just as well.

I agree with Dylan that the best tools are the ones you make or modify yourself.

I asked you not to ask.

I don't go near it except to fix it, so I guess it's "hers."

well, looks like I am not going to get any pics of tools. How about a pic of the clothesline?

I would, but I don't think it meets code, and I don't want elkimmeg on my case.

Hey George, let me know next time you pop the cork on a bottle of wine with that thing.

George,

That can opener looks like it could take the top off a petroleum storage tank. Hmmm... Are you selling those? :)

Mo Heat

wahoowad said:
well, looks like I am not going to get any pics of tools. How about a pic of the clothesline?

Sorry Wahoowad, but right now I'm using store bought stuff. I did get the best possible set I could afford though, by waiting for a sale. For a store bought set it's pretty sturdy. Had a problem early on with the ash shovel handle loosening off, but some Loctite fixed it. I have some home made tools out at my camp and I'm heading out there tommorrow, so I'll try and remember to take a few shots. Most of it is the bent re-bar variety, but there are a couple of interesting pieces.

BTW, I seem to recall back when the new forum first got going, someone had a shot of a real neat ash removal tool that was like a steel dust pan with a lid. Was that you, Mo?

Self Edit: Never mind, I finally found it. It was a link to another site. I'd love to get one of these: http://www.woodheat.org/tips/ashfetish.htm

Willhound

Wahoowad

As promised, I took my camera with me to my camp this morning, but after looking at the sorry assortment of homemade pokers and ash shovels, I felt that most of them didn't warrant a picture, except for this one poker.

This was built by my brother's friend back in high school shop class. I have used it, and it works OK, except it really needs a hook on the end. Since I have an assorment of bent rebar pokers, I thought it best not to ruin this, so I painted it and now it hangs by the stove as a conversation piece. (Most of the conversation is from my wife, saying "Get rid of this junk")

On a useful note, the curved hand guard really does a good job of deflecting the heat from your hands if you're not wearing gloves.

Willhound

Attachments

• Poker.jpg
    Poker.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 1,786
I've had this tool forever. It is my dedicated poker. It's made from stout 5/16" steel rod about 29" long, and flattened at the tip. I love it because I can poke, hook and move hot logs easily, while staying a safe distance from the hot edges of the stove.

Attachments

• poker.jpg
    poker.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 1,782
Status
Not open for further replies.