Any "smart" thermostats that function like Thermguard

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

offtrac

Aug 8, 2011
Western MA
So the extreme cold in the NE really have me paranoid about my boiler pipes. I currently have a p52i that I heat the whole house with but there are some pipes on outside walls in the basement that are not benefiting from this method of heating.

I currently have 3 each building36 wifi thermostats--2 heats zones and 1 AC zone. I am having to go in the app several times a day and bump the heat up to get the boiler going. Obviously this is not ideal. Options in the app/website are not ideal. You can set up to 4 heating cycles per day and they are for 30 min each minimum. No where near the convenience of the "cycling" that the thermguard allows.

Are there any wifi/smart thermostats out there that will allow the flexibility of the thermguard?

So the extreme cold in the NE really have me paranoid about my boiler pipes. I currently have a p52i that I heat the whole house with but there are some pipes on outside walls in the basement that are not benefiting from this method of heating.

I currently have 3 each building36 wifi thermostats--2 heats zones and 1 AC zone. I am having to go in the app several times a day and bump the heat up to get the boiler going. Obviously this is not ideal. Options in the app/website are not ideal. You can set up to 4 heating cycles per day and they are for 30 min each minimum. No where near the convenience of the "cycling" that the thermguard allows.

Are there any wifi/smart thermostats out there that will allow the flexibility of the thermguard?

Same situation here in SE Mass with this sub zero freeze.. Running a Harman 52i insert and NOT using my oil forced hot water 6 zone burner at all. Looked at the Thermaguard but instead of spending the $, did a simple fix.
Utilized a $4 manual AC timer having 48 on off settings. Jumped it to the circulator contacts and switched each zone valve to constant manual open.
Now I can set the times to any combo (every 1 1/2 hour on for 30 min) and water circulates thru all zones with no freeze up. Took 10
mins to complete.

Reactions: offtrac and Mt Bob