Any thoughts on getting this tree on the ground?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hunter8282

Mar 14, 2024
Michigan
Large oak. Shovel leaning against it. No central trunk. Just those crazy octopus arms.

Any ideas on getting those on the ground safely? I'd like to harvest the wood without losing anymore to rot etc.
20240325_163713.jpg

I would probably notch the big branch on the left of the picture and then do a plunge cut. I'd then cut the trigger or whatever you want to call it. You might be able to do the same thing to the right branch or even cut the rest of it down at one time.

Disclaimer; I'm not a professional and my opinion is only an opinion. Maybe a pro will drop in and offer some better advice.

Reactions: johneh
The big branch on the left, saw up from the bottom six inches. Then come in from the top and saw down to the first cut, it will fall right off. That is one crazy looking oak tree.

Large oak. Shovel leaning against it. No central trunk. Just those crazy octopus arms.

Any ideas on getting those on the ground safely? I'd like to harvest the wood without losing anymore to rot etc.
View attachment 326146
Trees like that, I let mother nature take care of. You also have a widowmaker up high on the left side.

Reactions: Dataman
Yeah, it makes me nervous. :eek:
I just really want to get the wood cut and split so it can start drying. :cool:
I'm not sure how much land you have but I "wood" look for something easier or safer but that's just me.

Reactions: zinger827
If I NEEDED to take that down I would start with the lower, barkless branch on the right. Wee notch on the bottom trying for a direction, and top cut clear. Then the big branch above it. It appears that both of those branches are hung-up. The top, bigger branch could swing into the tree that it's hung-on. The bottom could easily swing in and the top come right back at you. Or it could break at the hangup point and drop straight down. My guess is it will swing in and the butt will drop at the same time. If it reaches vertical before the butt hits the ground it will fall back to the stump, or in any direction whatsoever. In the land of fairies and unicorns the big right branch will swing in, topple back and knock out the widowmaker on the left. Doubtful.

I, me, would be comfortable tackling the right side of that tree. The left side I would leave alone. That being said, what you do to the right side may affect the left side and the widowmaker could come down and that barberchair could finish.

All that being said, that tree is nasty and could kill you. I leave most of that kind of thing alone.

Oh, that far right branch going away and laying to the ground has to come off early in the procedure too.

Looks like time for target practice with some Tannerite on that upper branch that looks like it got a pretty good split started. Pack the crack with Tannerite and get a distance away then pull the trigger and repeat as needed;)

If I NEEDED to take that down I would start with the lower, barkless branch on the right. Wee notch on the bottom trying for a direction, and top cut clear. Then the big branch above it. It appears that both of those branches are hung-up. The top, bigger branch could swing into the tree that it's hung-on. The bottom could easily swing in and the top come right back at you. Or it could break at the hangup point and drop straight down. My guess is it will swing in and the butt will drop at the same time. If it reaches vertical before the butt hits the ground it will fall back to the stump, or in any direction whatsoever. In the land of fairies and unicorns the big right branch will swing in, topple back and knock out the widowmaker on the left. Doubtful.

I, me, would be comfortable tackling the right side of that tree. The left side I would leave alone. That being said, what you do to the right side may affect the left side and the widowmaker could come down and that barberchair could finish.

All that being said, that tree is nasty and could kill you. I leave most of that kind of thing alone.
Yes leave this one alone. Hire it Done or buy your firewood. I had over 100 trees down in 2014/15. It was far cheaper to let the experts deal with the difficult ones. Several like this. Yours are far more difficult. Shame you can't do it like I saw done in Military with Det Cord.

DSCN0613.JPG

Reactions: thewoodlands