Any tips for painting?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

andybaker

Feeling the Heat
Oct 31, 2008
Northwest OH
I'm looking at my Z/C fireplace insert and it really could use a new paint job. Has anyone ever painted something like this? There is no way to remove it from the room except the grates. I'm wondering if I could do a good enough job? Would Hi temp grill paint from the store work or is there somewhere else to look? I can remove the glass from the door but I'm not really sure I want to remove the door itself.

Attachments

• rsz_dscn2203.jpg
    rsz_dscn2203.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 119
  • rsz_dscn2204.jpg
    rsz_dscn2204.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 107
  • rsz_dscn2205.jpg
    rsz_dscn2205.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 123
. Clean metail with clear vinegar wipe dry.Masking tape and paper. Use a hi temperature stove paint you color. Brush on type. Spray will get all over in the house. Try a foam brush. on some thing that is scrap If it works to you liking ok or a good smooth paint brush. Leave door open and windows in the house. Might have to do 2 coats of paint. Fire up insert to cure paint. Summer project.

It would be easy to mask off the brick and glass with blue painters tape and old paper grocerie bags or newspaper. After that is done I would imagine you could spray, roll, or brush or even a combination of the three. Personally I would use a streak free roller and por 20 high temp paint. Por 20 lasts forever and it would most likely be the last paint job it everr needs. http://www.por15.com/POR-20-ALUMINUM/productinfo/P2H/ it comes in black and a few other colors as well.

Good luck
Pete

Thanks Pete, I looked up that paint and it looks amazing but I don't think the "Por" brand will work. Since what I have is a Z/C fireplace most of the exposed surface never reaches 300F, so it would not cure properly. On the other hand though, some things I have around the bakery where rust can hurt the building, this looks perfect. Thanks for the info.
And thanks Fake (not really sure I like calling you "Fake") for the suggestion about spraying. I handn't even thought about the spray going all over the house/room. Good advise, I was just thinking best how to apply.

If you never go above 300 then its not an issue any how. Paint cures in stages once its cured to 300F it wont smell anymore however if you go hotter it will cure again and then that temp will be the next cure temp and so on. I see no reason it wouldn't work.

Pete

Don't worry about the spray going "all over the house"! It won't. It dries very fast and is very controllable, just mask off the area good.
Kozy uses Stove Bright Satin Black on there units. You can buy it at your local hearth shop or places like www.northlineexpress.com.

Reactions: Pallet Pete
Status
Not open for further replies.