Any VC Large Winter Warm Users here?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Always ON seems like it has to be the little control module onthe left side of the firebox. My fans work as intended, a little loud perhaps, but as intended.

I believe they're both fed independently from the control box, so that's almost certainly the culprit.

Steve

april@offenbachers said:
I have been selling majestic products for years, including the winterwarm, but because I do not install them, I have to rely on our chimney sweeps that install them, online install manuals, and technical services to answer my questions.
Heres a quick question that perhaps one of you will be familiar with, since you own the product.
I have a customer that has had the left fan running non-stop since the time of install-before he ever fired it up. I realize its unusual to have the heat activated fan going when there is no heat being produced. Since this only affects the left fan, right fan comes on and off normally, could this be thermostat related, as tech suggests?
Any insight would be helpful.

You'll need to look at the wiring diagram for the stove, it seems something is miswired, shorted, or otherwise defective. That only one side is malfunctioning should give you a hint in tracing the problem. Look for switches or other components that are NOT common to both sides.

Gooserider

april@offenbachers said:
Heres a quick question that perhaps one of you will be familiar with, since you own the product.
I have a customer that has had the left fan running non-stop since the time of install-before he ever fired it up. I realize its unusual to have the heat activated fan going when there is no heat being produced.

I think Steve and Goose covered the electrical thing, but let me add this.

My stove, and I was told all newer WWL's (that was a couple years back so it might have changed again), no longer contain the "snap switch" that senses temperature and turns the fans on and off.

Is your customer operating a newer WWL?
If so, is he sure the right fan is working at all when he is firing the thing? (it better be!)

... and on an historic note, regarding the left side glass creosote fouling...

I've noticed this year that the natural air flow is definitely restricted on the left side of the box. I did a smoke test accidentally ;) and could see a "dead spot" on the left where the primary air manifold simply does not direct much, if any, air down that left side of the glass. I don't believe I have any obstructions. This is IMO a design limit of the air manifold air flow. I now bias my wood loads to the right side of the box or a few inches back from the left side glass and my glass stays pretty clean (only a little brown stuff on the left side, but not so much that it bothers me). Any time the fire is smoldering early in a new fire and thus the draft is not yet to it's peak with a warm chimney, you'll probably experience glass fouling. That's why I burn the first half hour with the door open (hearth screen in place), the second half hour with the door closed, but the cat UNengaged, and then engage the cat at around the 1 hour mark. I'll include a photo of my glass that I haven't cleaned in weeks in a subsequent post. Pressed for time, now...

Here are some photos of my glass after several weeks of regular burning (and the power outage we had here). If I don't let things get smokey in the box, I never really have to clean the glass since it will look like this in a day or two anyway.

I also included shot of a typical REload of wood (about a half hour after I added splits). When I opened the door to take this photo, the cat probe thermometer read 1300*F. I added these two splits after intially starting the fire about two and a half hours earlier using about five splits. The small split in the right front has mostly burned away in the half hour before I took the photo. The split in the right rear was medium sized and will burn another hour or hour and a half.

Occasionally I'll put three medium to large splits in there if I am trying to warm the room up a bit more. For reference, I've included a photo of what I call a small, medium, and large split.

(See: subsequent posts for additional photos)

Attachments

• S7000588.JPG
    S7000588.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 345
Door after weeks of burning. It doesn't get any better than this IMO.

Attachments

• S7000577.JPG
    S7000577.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 369
Arrangement of a smaller sized reload. The small sized split in the foreground has gone to coals after about a half hour.

Attachments

• S7000579.JPG
    S7000579.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 358
I saw this post and had to laugh (as I am a former multiple MG Midget owner). I have had great luck with the WWL although I had problems with the initial install (problems with flex tube connector getting a good positive connection and the blocking of the fan blades by the wiring harness). Yes I agree it takes a little time and experience to get this baby to function well, but the challenge is well worth it. Seven years later and I still get lots of compliments on the looks and performance of this stove. Just this past Thanksgiving my parents and my inlaws were visiting -both from Florida. When I came downstairs to see them I found them all huddling around the roaring WWL commenting on how amazing the heat output was.

What would life be like without the challenges of our MGs, WWL, and other objects/projects that keep us occupied??

Here's a pic of it burning.

Attachments

• LivingRoom.jpg
    LivingRoom.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 309
Nice. And nary a spec of detritus. ;)

Looks like you may have elevated your WWL onto some marble, or something. Was it too low to reach the lintel? If so, looks like you did some pretty fancy stone cutting.

And like me, it looks like you may be an inch or two short of the req'd front 18" clearance to combustibles.

It's hard to beat the elegant, cast iron beauty of the WWL. I'm not sure I've ever seen a more lovely stove. And the defacto heat shield (the top plate assembly) is so much nicer than having a big flap of after-thought sheet metal screwed onto and/or protruding beneath a combustible mantle, et al.

BTW: You have quite the collection of stoves based on your sig, and those stair risers look like a nice place to put a security web cam. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.