Anybody else have to leave your door open a bit to get a fire going?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
so, are you doing both methods?! bottom up for kindling, top down for larger?

If you were looking just at my kindling, I suppose that part is bottom-up, in the sense that I have my firestarter below my kindling. I have tried the "pure" top-down method in that video above, but I get faster starts with paper below the kindling. That first picture in Sawset's post above is very close to what I typically do, except that I place the kindling at right angles to the large logs.
I vary the relative quantity of logs, paper and kindling depending on what I'm using as kindling, or how much of a rush I'm in.

TE

first nasty winter day here, so fired up my 25 year old seneca (and yes, i did utilize the ash door method!). everything working well.

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpeg
    thumbnail.jpeg
    14.2 KB · Views: 58
first nasty winter day here, so fired up my 25 year old seneca (and yes, i did utilize the ash door method!). everything working well.
Ok just because you havnt destroyed your stove doing it doesn't mean it is a safe thing to do. Doing that has destroyed many many stoves through the years.

Reactions: thebaron23
not advocating it, just saying that i've benefically utilized it as needed over the years with no detrimental effect. i think 25 years is a pretty good set (albeit one person one stove model). in some ways people who never check their rope gaskets and have leaky stoves are a greater danger to over firing their wood stoves. i check and replace my several gaskets as needed, esp. my side loading door.

not advocating it, just saying that i've benefically utilized it as needed over the years with no detrimental effect. i think 25 years is a pretty good set (albeit one person one stove model). in some ways people who never check their rope gaskets and have leaky stoves are a greater danger to over firing their wood stoves. i check and replace my several gaskets as needed, esp. my side loading door.
Yes a greater danger of overfire but very little risk of destroying the stove. You can do whatever you want but to anyone reading this it is a very very risky practice. And that is enough discussion on the topic