Anyone Burning Yet?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We started stoving over the winter so this is my first startup shoulder.

Indiana/ Michigan border here and it's one of the warmer Septembers ever so far.

I'm giddy and tugging at the leash to fire up tho. The stove is clean and sealed up,
good dry stock, and two totes in the stoveroom itching to go.......

CheapMark

Reactions: iceman2424
Anyone else starting to burn yet?

We're having a really cool start to September and burning small load evening fires.
No and the longer we can do without the better.It's got to get down to 40's before the new unit gets fired.

Getting the chimney swept Sept 27th. Free game after that. Can't wait.

I am loaded for bear. I have been loading up firewood for the past year and have a shiny new Jotul Oslo.
Most of my wood is in my woodshed. Preliminary testing shows that this wood will be ready to burn after only 4 or 5 months in my solar powered wood roaster. Will give full results later this year.

Warm days and cool nights here. It really cooled off hear a couple weeks ago and I brought a box of alder inside just in case. Haven't "needed" a fire, but I went ahead and burned a load tonight. Having some grouse bones to get rid of may have pushed me over the top.

Nope . . . but after a storm moved through on Sunday we've been getting some cooler nights. House is retaining enough heat from the day though so no fires are needed yet.

Anyone else starting to burn yet?

We're having a really cool start to September and burning small load evening fires.

You betcha. I'm burning right now. It's getting down to the high 30's mid 40's at night - watching out for that killing frost that's going to mess up my corn. Our house, w/o the heat on was getting down to 65F - and that's a little chilly for this old man. So I fired up Clyde and burned some of that very dry wood that's been sitting in our wood cradle for the last 6 months. Clyde worked like a champ. Pretty soon it was 72F inside with our cats sleeping in front of Clyde. Man do they love that stove.

Looking forward to that first frost here.
The mosquitos are out of control since the late August rain deluge of days....
With the semi-drought leading up to it there were hardly any bugs.

Overall, glad for the farmers we got some Noah just in time to save all the soy
and most of the corn here. Wilting, and they woke right back up.

IMG_20160913_202814312.jpg
1st fire tonight. Supposed to get down to 35 degrees. Frost warnings out, didn't get the wife's tomatoes in but the amber bock sure tastes good.

The positioning of that pipe looks a bit close to a wood wall.

I'm a newbie so it's probably spec. Just looks scary to a guy (me)
who may not know any better.

CheapMark

Whatta difference camera angle makes !

Wow, and now me gets it. Thank you for taking the time to pic n' post it.

Burn em if ya got em,
Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeap

Reactions: iceman2424 and Ash
I'm thinking you need to share some so we all can make sure it is good choice for the stove and fire...just sayin'. :)

Reactions: Cootapatamba
Since we're talking clearances . . . well that IPA looks a little too far from me. :)

Actually I jest . . . not really much of a beer drinker.
If you ever get a chance try one of those, its a good beer, not like most ipa's

Weather man says we will likely tie or break the record high of 97 here today. No fires in my near future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No burning for me yet, but I considered a fire on the weekend. I don't typically start until sometime in October. The British Columbia weather has been strange here the past week - down to near freezing at night, but back up to the 80's by midday. I think I might head to the beach tomorrow after work ...

Ash that is looking good! I bet it is cold in Northern Minnesota. Where are you?
I am from Atlanta but drove up to Ely 8 times to go on trips in Quetico Park. I love it up there. Always went to the Quetico in September when the yard-apes were back in school, you could get some peace and quiet in that park then. Maple leaves just starting to turn. Damn, how beautiful.

After about my 4th trip up there I decided I wanted to move to Bemidji. I like snow and cold weather.
I was all ready to go up there, build a log cabin and start cutting firewood. Was gonna get a Tulikivi masonry heater.

However, the fiancee is from Atlanta and dislikes cold weather. Could not talk her in to moving to Bemidji. Women, go figure. So I settled on Asheville NC.
We do get a fair amount of snow here, total about 3 feet per winter, pretty good for the Deep South.

Still using the air con almost daily here. Our usual first burn is around turkey day, and this year is much hotter than normal....

Ive posted somewhere on here that the burning season started for us recently. Weve had about 8 or 10 evening fires so far and one day where I started a fire around 2 pm because our max temp was only 6c. As you would suspect cooler weather comes and goes this early in the season. The stove is cold right now but Im away.

Last edited:
55° and damp outside and 65° inside. Just fired it up.
IMG_20160918_243047855.jpg

Reactions: Blazing
Status
Not open for further replies.