Anyone change their snow blower with an impeller upgrade kit?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello
This looks interesting?

These paddles look good too?

Last edited:
Most people who have done the impeller modification feel that they do throw snow farther or at least drastically reduce the tendency of very wet or slushy snow to clog the chute quickly. If the clearance between impeller tip and housing in which it rotates is only 1/4" or less, there probably won't be much improvement. I did the modification on my Husqvarna ST227P last year, and I am pleased with the performance on wet snow.

This modification has been discussed in depth on the snowblower forum: http://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/#snowblower-forums-main. Various materials can be used, including the single-stage snowblower paddle used in the first video, 1/4" or thicker SBR rubber, baler belting, and old tire sidewall. The first video showed a different bolt pattern from what I've seen, with a pair of holes in a line perpendicular to the outer edge of the rubber strip rather than parallel to it. That video also shows the use of a bolt hole slot in the rubber, for fit of the rubber up to the chute bolt heads. I used a stainless backing plate, shaped at one side to conform to the upsweep at the end of the impeller steel, and with a pair of bolts parallel to the outer edge; the plate forces the rubber down against the curvature of that upsweep and also replaces the function of the washers in the video. I also notched the rubber tips where the chute bolt heads are, with the outer edge of the rubber otherwise right against the housing. It doesn't take much operating time for the edges of the rubber strips to wear in. I posted more details and some pics here: https://www.snowblowerforum.com/thr...-honda-snow-blower.153503/page-3#post-1720457

Reactions: Don2222
I did the mod. Night and day difference.

It worked really well on my 1968 Ariens, I’ve watched it pump the water out of the giant puddle that used to form at end of my driveway. Rarely clogs anymore either, I recommend it to my mechanical minded friends.

yep, I made my own for my Ariens Pro 32 years ago.

IMG_7379.JPG

Also added LED lights to it.

Why is the guy blowing the snow into the street? It's going to get pushed right back where it was.

Why is the guy blowing the snow into the street? It's going to get pushed right back where it was.
Not if you blow it “down traffic”.
When I plowed for the town you did not blow your snow into the road. Ever. If I saw you or even your plow guy leaving a mess on the road I dug in deep and slowed down for a nice blade full just for your curb cut.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Not if you blow it “down traffic”.
When I plowed for the town you did not blow your snow into the road. Ever. If I saw you or even your plow guy leaving a mess on the road I dug in deep and slowed down for a nice blade full just for your curb cut.
My point was that the dude was being a jerk in the video, I'm on my second winter of paid snow removal, but I haven't run across anyone intentionally blowing or pushing snow out into the main road. My truck has a V plow, but a coworker drives a big dump truck with the side blade for a section of 191. The guy my neighbor pays to plow our dirt road is a real prick and doesn't take an extra few minutes to not plow us into our driveway. It's not a problem now that I have a tractor and 3pt blower, but our first winter it was a real problem to have a 2-3' snow drift with only shovels.

He's in Utah, it will probably melt in an hour on that blacktop.

I've used vinyl backed carpet scraps with success...

Can I tag onto this thread - trying not to hijack it - and ask if you also think it made an improvement in dry snow performance?

I cant tell. I only used it once so far and it was wet snow. I would say that the gap on the propeller and side wall was only like 3/8 inch so I closed off a 1/4 inch basically. I'm sure it helps.

I did it to my blower a few years back, this year I had 0" of snow to use it on. Last year we had some good size amounts and it did better with the upgraded flaps than it did without them, just have to be more careful of rocks. After the upgrade I tended to increase the height of the chute.

My neighbor just did it to his 20 year old Toro 1028 powershift. It was not throwing that well. After he added the "wipers" he said it's throwing like when it was brand new. He highly recommends it. And we got massive amounts of snow in Utah this season, so it needs to chuck the snow over the 11 ft snow banks.