Anyone Disassemble an Osburn 1800 Insert? Time to Sweep the Chminey

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brink

Dec 31, 2008
Western Central New Jersey
It's been a little over month of burning with my Osburn1800 insert. I have been burning assorted dry wood. I had not installed the surround until last week and up until then have been using the damper control along with markings I made on the hearth for high and low. Once I installed the surround, I noticed that for at least 4 weeks, I was not opening the damper all the way and also not closing it all the way, since my temporary markings were a little off. No wonder it wasn't getting hot too fast! The one month old ss chimney cap screen is black with soot.

With this recent warm weather I thought I'd get a 6 inch poly brush and get out on the roof and sweep the 6inch ss flex liner, top to bottom. However, I think I need to remove the insides of the insert and I'm hoping someone has done it and can advise me. I heard that I have to be super careful with the insulated board that is on the top of the air tubes. Do I really have to disassemble the inside of the insert? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.