Anyone else do stupid things like this too lol?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PA. Woodsman

Minister of Fire
Feb 26, 2007
Emmaus, Pennsylvania
We FINALLY got some nice weather on a Saturday so i was raring to go to get some wood split, Friday night got the splitter all ready to go and wouldn't you know it 3:00 Saturday morning woke up sick, I had been dancing around with a sinus upper respiratory thing for the last 5 weeks but I guess it finally really grabbed a hold of me, I felt exhausted like I weighed 2,000 pounds and got hit by a train, but since I had no fever and after I took some vitamins and other stuff felt a LITTLE bit better I went out and split wood, thinking "maybe I'll sweat it out a little bit" and getting moving would help me. Well, I felt a bit better for a bit then quickly realized that I felt like dog**** and that maybe this wasn't a good idea....so today it's all rest and try to sleep and get over doing that.

But I got some done.

There must really be something wrong with me lol.....

I did this just last week! Building an office for the wife in the back yard and started feeling a little under the weather. We have kids so someone's always bringing something home. Anyway, I too thought I'd "sweat it out" but the next day i woke up looking like a zombie and feeling like I'd been hit by a truck.
Four days later I'm finally starting to feel like myself again. Wanted to get after it today but God says no (it's Sunday), and he's bigger than me so I guess I'll knuckle under one more day. I don't have another day to trade with him coming up this week.

Sometimes we get ahead of ourselves and we need knocking down a peg. Good luck kicking the crud!

Edit: Crud (in this context) means sickness for all you non southerners. :)

I did this just last week! Building an office for the wife in the back yard and started feeling a little under the weather. We have kids so someone's always bringing something home. Anyway, I too thought I'd "sweat it out" but the next day i woke up looking like a zombie and feeling like I'd been hit by a truck.
Four days later I'm finally starting to feel like myself again. Wanted to get after it today but God says no (it's Sunday), and he's bigger than me so I guess I'll knuckle under one more day. I don't have another day to trade with him coming up this week.

Sometimes we get ahead of ourselves and we need knocking down a peg. Good luck kicking the crud!

Edit: Crud (in this context) means sickness for all you non southerners. :)
Thanks! Funny how we think we know what it best for ourselves yet in the back of our mind we're thinking "I shouldn't be doing this!"....

There must really be something wrong with me lol.....
I have the same thought process lol, sweat it out a bit, hit some vitamins, drink water and send the cat or dog outside to look for the cure lol.
I had that sinus crap a few weeks ago, got me all twisted up, I knew I was sick when I poured a cup of milk then added a splash of coffee to it.. hung it up right there, did a shot of night quil, closed the blinds and went back to bed.

Some nasty late season sicknesses going around. I havnt been sick for years, but just came out of a solid week house bound. Sometimes you just have to suck it up and eat the downtime.

Last edited:
Sick for 10 days. Cleaned Pellet Stove for End of Season. Cleaned Chimney, Cleaned Vac, Cleaned Floor of Mess and Mopped. Today I hurt and feel crappy. But the Stove is DONE! I even opened up the cleanout and put Wire Cloth in pipe leading into the Wall (stupid birds think stove pipe is good place for nest 8" Pipe).

Found out Illness effects Diabetes. Nothing like felling dizzy and little tipsy too (under 200). Dr visit Tuesday. Tried of pricking myself for blood tests.

good news the Snow is almost melted. 6-24" left on the ground and bays of building (lawnmower parked there) melting fast. Soon can get out mower and do oil change and such. Both mowers batteries survived the winter (one normally only lasts 2 years).

Be glad when my burn pile has dried out and I can "Burn Baby Burn" the Limbs and Tree tops and such.

Went thru 4.5 Tons of Pellets from Sep to March. Found pellets lots easier than Wood (1st year Pellet Stove).

Everything unplugged. Will charge the Inverter 100Ah battery every 30 days.

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
Thanks for the replies, at least I know it's not just me with the sicknesses going around! I know with all the rain we've had the mold is through the roof, plus you have other pollens out now and whatever other viruses that are going around thanks to the rollercoaster weather.

I actually dozed a bit which is the best thing besides rest and drinking a lot of liquids, still have a slight fever but I usually just let it run it's course as long as it doesn't get too high, it actually shows your immune system is fighting back.

I hope you all get and stay healthy soon!

I had troubles with (they think) low level sinus infection that didn't take much to turn into pneumonia years ago.
Doc had me try guaifenesin for 6 months and haven't had pneumonia aagin since. Now I take it any time ( usually Spring and/or Fall ) I feel I might be on the cusp of sinus troubles and take it preemptively. Any time I'm going to fly long distance I'll start taking guaifenesin and vitamin C about a week before the flight and usually until I'm home again. They say the air on a plane is clean (or a lot cleaner than it used to be) but the hands touching everything certainly aren't.

I didn't get sick but I wasn't cautious enough about the ice all over the sloped woods on my property. Went to throw a big branch down to where I'm processing and twisted my ankle really badly. My son, who is only 4, was with me and the little guy actually helped me (6'4", 285 pounds) limp down to the house, telling me "you'll be alright. Just calm down get some rest."

All day today I've been eying the area I was working wishing that my ankle will heal soon so I can finish my work.

Dropped some dead straight ash a couple weeks ago in my creekbed, Shoulder was bugging me a bit but "This stuff splits easy, and the workout will be good for my shoulder." I burn mostly oak, and never split ash, and the easy 1 swing splitting was addictive. Really got after it for a weekend.

I go in to try and get an appointment for a cortisone shot next Saturday. Ibuprofen is getting low. I sleep on that shoulder. Life is hell.;lol

Not sick, but injured. I'm looking at the corner of the yard where there is a mess of rotted wood I need to clear up and get my wood stack area organized. I have a few rounds and logs in my truck for extra weight for winter driving I need to unload, and here I am with a pinched nerve in my back that when I stand straight, sends shooting pain down my right leg, then it goes numb from the knee down to my toes<>. I keep thinking, if I stay a little hunched over, I can get some work done.....Wife strongly disagrees and keeps telling me to stand up straight.

Dropped some dead straight ash a couple weeks ago in my creekbed, Shoulder was bugging me a bit but "This stuff splits easy, and the workout will be good for my shoulder." I burn mostly oak, and never split ash, and the easy 1 swing splitting was addictive. Really got after it for a weekend.

I go in to try and get an appointment for a cortisone shot next Saturday. Ibuprofen is getting low. I sleep on that shoulder. Life is hell.;lol
I had Bicep Tenodisis done from some Bicep Tendon tearing, and bone spur cutting into the muscle / tendon that goes from the chest to the shoulder....can't think of the name of it.....worse surgery I've had to date, and I've had more than my share.....take care of the shoulder

Beer Belly I hope you feel better, that sounds like some nasty and painful stuff there!

I am at work today, better than I expected, not great but not dying either, now I have pain in the left ear/Eustachian tube from all the nonsense and blowing my nose a million times etc. but that is usually how it progresses with me, from the sinuses to the ears to hopefully GONE!!!

And several people who saw me today said "that's going around", yes, I know lol!!!!

Not sick, but injured. I'm looking at the corner of the yard where there is a mess of rotted wood I need to clear up and get my wood stack area organized. I have a few rounds and logs in my truck for extra weight for winter driving I need to unload, and here I am with a pinched nerve in my back that when I stand straight, sends shooting pain down my right leg, then it goes numb from the knee down to my toes<>. I keep thinking, if I stay a little hunched over, I can get some work done.....Wife strongly disagrees and keeps telling me to stand up straight.

My wife tells me to "stand up straight". I tell her she has "no idea of how hard I've worked to be this crooked". I tell her I'm standing EXACTLY the way I want to stand!! ;-)

Hope people feel better.

I'm probably the biggest baby when I'm sick. :)

Well today is one week since that happened, I am just about over this I think, but who knows these things seem to hang on for quite awhile but I'm all ready to get out there again today and continue splitting but of course now it's cold and wet and drizzling but it's supposed to clear up later today; well I can't wait until "later today" so soon I'll be out there getting another snoot full of mold and let's see what I feel like tomorrow but I want to get this done! :mad: <> ;lol

It really sucks to waste a whole week of your life being sick. Makes you think,who will do all this work when im gone. Im letting the kids take over things a little at a time but a long ,long way to go there.

Well today is one week since that happened, I am just about over this I think, but who knows these things seem to hang on for quite awhile but I'm all ready to get out there again today and continue splitting but of course now it's cold and wet and drizzling but it's supposed to clear up later today; well I can't wait until "later today" so soon I'll be out there getting another snoot full of mold and let's see what I feel like tomorrow but I want to get this done! :mad: <> ;lol
The one thing I don't like about the Cortisone shot, it helps with the inflammation, and will help with the pain, which makes you feel better, which then leads one to believe they can do more than they should, and cause more damage.....be careful, I blame myself for doing this a causing my surgery. They had to drill a hole in the bone, and attach the Bicep Tendons to it, then move on the grinding down bone spurs cutting into the Rotor Cuff.....I did not follow Docs orders, and worked before he gave me the green light, and did a 70% retear of the Tendon, which is unrecoverable.....be smart, follow orders, don't overwork the area, I cannot express enough.....YOU DO NOT WANT TO DO THIS !

To go with last posting......

Attachments

• Ricks Shoulder 1.JPG
    Ricks Shoulder 1.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 238

Attachments

• Horseshoe Bay Bermuda 6-6-2018.JPG
    Horseshoe Bay Bermuda 6-6-2018.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 247
Went out about 5 weeks ago to split up a bunch of cherry and maple. Felt fine. Next day my throat was on fire. Thought it was probably just do to heavy breathing in cold weather. Had a sore throat for over three weeks, on the right side. White spots and swelling, just on my right tonsil. It’s since gone away about a week ago but has now moved up to my right nostril and sinus. Have had the post nasal drip going on now. Just liquid boogers dripping down my throat. Should go away though. I mean... it’s made progress.

Went out about 5 weeks ago to split up a bunch of cherry and maple. Felt fine. Next day my throat was on fire. Thought it was probably just do to heavy breathing in cold weather. Had a sore throat for over three weeks, on the right side. White spots and swelling, just on my right tonsil. It’s since gone away about a week ago but has now moved up to my right nostril and sinus. Have had the post nasal drip going on now. Just liquid boogers dripping down my throat. Should go away though. I mean... it’s made progress.
That sounds pretty similar to what I had, my nostrils were burning and I had lots of clear liquid just pouring out which eventually turned to colored mucus but I took a lot of a product by Natrol vitamins called something like "Quercetin Immune Support Complex" or similar to that, the Quercetin is supposed to calm down sinus swelling and the Vitamin C helps too and I also took Goldenseal and oil of wild oregano and mushrooms for respiratory health and I rebounded pretty quickly, but it still is there a bit, these viruses/allergies are getting stronger every year!

I hope it calms down for you soon, it is a rough one this thing!

To go with last posting......

That sounds pretty similar to what I had, my nostrils were burning and I had lots of clear liquid just pouring out which eventually turned to colored mucus but I took a lot of a product by Natrol vitamins called something like "Quercetin Immune Support Complex" or similar to that, the Quercetin is supposed to calm down sinus swelling and the Vitamin C helps too and I also took Goldenseal and oil of wild oregano and mushrooms for respiratory health and I rebounded pretty quickly, but it still is there a bit, these viruses/allergies are getting stronger every year!

I hope it calms down for you soon, it is a rough one this thing!

Sooooooo. Good thing I already had a early lunch. For some reason I have completely lost my appetite;lol

Reactions: Soundchasm