Anyone else hear the cicada siren sound?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
My son and I thought we heard a house alarm over tha last few days. We are now realizing its the sound of the cicada's in a distance. Anyone else hear this?

This place is surrounded with them. Like a roar outside. All of the ground around here looks like there was an airstrike there are so many holes where they emerged.

Cat threw up a clump of them day before yesterday. <>

166303_happycicada.jpg

My puppy loves to eat them. Seems to have no side effects.

We're getting spared this year.

Hell, I have trees with gypsy moth tar on them, I know the sound can get LOUD.

A few years ago we had the hatch here. I was cruising down I-57 southwest of Chicago at 70 mph one day at the start of the hatch. Windows up, A/C on, radio on. When I passed over a river I could here them singing in the forest pretty clearly. Had to pull over to convince myself that they really were That Loud.
Nature is pretty frickin' cool.

yeah, getting it daily here, had a massive hatch this year, out front i have a tree which when they hatched literally had 3 inches of discarded shells piled all the way around the trunk was freakish. looked like a mulch ring but for the color

im just glad they dont seem to sing at night

Next time they come out I will either be down there with'em or drooling in my soup at the home saying "Yeah I remember back in 13 when there were billions of'em." After the mess of them around here the birds will probably be the size of Condors this year. >>

There is a recipe for them on the internet. Remove the wings they probably will get stuck in your throat.

We have none here yet, Southeast PA.

Seem to be on a pretty consistant cycle here as nature would have it but there is always the anomily or two that has a small batch come out in off years and even a few makes fo a lot of noise but when the big storm comes - loud is an understatement!!

yeah, we've had em in off years here too, though its obvious this aint an off year. they are dying off pretty heavily down here now, i guess 'getting lucky" isnt too lucky for them, mate then die kinda calls for chastity <chuckle>

Status
Not open for further replies.