Anyone else notice this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Clark

Oct 28, 2008
Southeastern Mass.
Hello everyone

I have an Avalon Rainier insert that I have had for a few years.

One thing I cannot figure out is why the stove seems to be getting more air on the left side.
I load the stove....get it going strong .....then gradually back off on the air.....that is when you see that the right side of the firebox shut down first while there is a flame on the left side.

Shouldn't both sides shut down evenly?

I changed the door gasket and checked it with a piece of paper to make sure it was tight in all areas.

When I changed the door gasket I had a couple of Jacks with ginger ale and lemon so that I would ensure the job be done correctly!

Is it level in the fireplace? If it is then its got to be the way it was made?

My buck stove seems to get more air on the right side. If the glass is going to blacken, it will blacken on the left side first. This is obviously especially more noticeable if I have the door cracked to get her started. But even after that, more air on right side.

So what you are saying is you guys balance each other out? :lol:

Clark was it burning like that before you changed the gasket? Since you checked the reseal job correctly I can only guess that the left side is where the primary air enters the stove but figure if that was true you wouldn't have posted. Well I'm stumped...on our QF4300st all along the front door usually burns down to a fine ash and I too checked the door seal to see if air was leaking in but it was good to go. Since it makes for an easier clean out of a couple shovel full a day I figure they engineered it that way...but truthfully I dunno.

Status
Not open for further replies.