Anyone else's dog sit three inches from the stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Dali Lima

Oct 22, 2007
Central Connecticut
ok, so who else has a dog who sits inches from the stove when it is at 400 degrees?? My yellow lab is almost on top of it!!

cammiestove.JPG

Love the bookshelves and the tile set into the hardwood. Cool set up.

Is that a case of duraflame and a gallon of some kind of liquid propellant on the far right of the picture :p

ha! No, that is actually stone cleaner and the box is a ceiling fan I'll be installing soon.

My yellow lab loves the stove, my big chocolate lab prefers the cooler tiles in the bathroom.

My yellow lab does the same thing. I'd love to know how hot his fur gets sometimes...definately north of 100* I bet!

ditto my black labs (they're sisters)... one prefers being right in front of the insert, soaking up the heat, the other hangs out on the tile in the kitchen then wanders over occasionally for a little blast of heat... then it's back to the tile.

our black lab gets that close to the Summit...I have felt her fur a few times to check and its much hotter than I would think is comfortable, but she doesnt move

haha!! if my poor 'ol basset hound could still make it down the cellar stairs, i'm sure he'd be curled up right near my stove, as well!!

Just after my senior year of high school, I "adopted" a pair of litter mates (mixed breed) from the girl I was dating at the time. I was living at home at the time, so the dogs ended up living there with mom and dad when I moved away to college. One of the dogs would lie on the ceramic tile (so hot that it was uncomfortable to stand on with bare feet) under the stove for hours, wake up, drink the water bowl dry, and return to his position under the stove. We never did understand how he could tolerate the heat, but that ole boy loved the Fisher!

Our schnauzer uses the hearthpad for a pillow! Sometimes I think I need to check and make sure he is not going to combust.

Great picture of your lab, I love how some cross their legs when laying down.

My cat loves to sprawl out in front of the fireplace but the area is off limits for the dog. She is a full size German Shepherd and pretty much an outdoor dog although we do let her in on cold nights. She doesn't even want in if it's not bitter cold out.

Funny you should mention that; just this morning I was remarking that our Corgi stays a respectful distance away from the stove (and actually prefers to sleep out in the hall by the front door). Even if you call her while on the other side of the stove, she'll make a half-circle around it, while keeping an eye on the flickering flames. Not a normal demeanor for her, leading me to suspect she got a little TOO close once. With her, once is all it takes...

Our cats have no such inhibitions and I am sorry that I missed the Cat/IR thread... I am sure they are running elevated body temperatures the way they baste themselves in the heat from the stove.

Eddy

update: found the thread: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/25653/

My pug does that and he gets so HOT you can't touch his colar it is so HOT! He loves it htough!

I think every dog that I've owned did that,the labs were the worse,although the Jack Russell that I have now spends a lot of time in front of it,occasionally I'll find her on the hearthpad with her back right against the pedestal base.

I have a rhodesion ridgeback lab mix that does it and also thinks it his job to come out with me to get more wood. He then comes in with me and stands there watching me put it in.

My cats do- they sit so close I watch for smoke coming off them.
But the dogs all get as far away as possible as they are "the colder the better" types.

Our English Shepherd will sleep next to the stove; the Husky stays away from it. We have a catometer. Depending on the location of the cat, I can tell how hot the stove is at the moment.

You aren't kidding... My girlfriends Rat Terrier almost gets under the front ash lip. My Viszla is content just being near it. First day the stove was lit up this fall the dogs were in front of it with a 1/2 hour. I have a pic of both of them in front of it... will post tonight.

maybe your puppy is trying to tell you to crank that stove up and get warm in the house. :)

My yellow lab/retriever mix will lay in front of the stove with all 4 in the air. Darn thing won't walk away until shes panting hard. As soon as the panting stops, she back at the stove.

My dog won't even stay in the same room as the stove. But one of the cats hangs out in the fireplace behind the stove.
My mother's boston will put his paws under the stove, thats when you know its time to reload.

oh yeah.... have a 3 yr old yellow lab... she lays right up against the hearth every night... sometimes she gets soo hot to the touch i don't know how she stands it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.