Anyone else's dog sit three inches from the stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bella will lay on the rug and chew her doggy bone in front of the stove. She does not get all that close, I guess because the rug is set back a few feet. Great pics of all the dog and cats.

Attachments

• dog stove1165.jpg
    dog stove1165.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 485
my pointer loves to sleep with her head under the stove. as i write her and my fiance are fighting for position on the dog bed in front of the hearth

our "mini daschund" loves the stove , she sleeps on an old bed pillow (forget the doggie bed she aint havin it , gotta be that old ratty pillow) out about a foot and a half in front of the stove , i'll have to sneak up on her for a picture though , she jumps up and runs to anyone she hears coming in the room.

Murphy (smooth haired fox terrier) is in "park" infront of the insert. It's his favorite place in the house.

I took a pic, will upload, etc tomorrow or the next day.

hi all, pretty hard to get the junk yard dog from in front of the stove, gotta poke her pretty hard, notice the cats rolled up under the tree

Attachments

• 1210081728.jpg
    1210081728.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 543
Chips, that pic reminds me of my Chester, who passed along in September. He was a junk yard dog, too:)

Nice pic !

My 4 year old 'torby' (tortoise shell tabby) cat likes 'warm', but not 'hot'. Her favorite spot is on the recliner about 7-8 ft away. She is wary of the fire, though not scared. I have seen her slightly closer, down on the carpet, but not often.

OTOH a friend of mine had an old Siamese with arthritis, and he set up shop right in of her ceramic heater running full blast, 1500W. Maybe 1-2 ft away. He was hot to the touch. We have proven conclusively that cats do not spontaneously combust. ;-)

I have a Doberman, and if he could crawl inside the stove he would. At home he is either at the stove or on guard duty at the window. At our cabin you can find him on the fireplace hearth or at the window barking at chipmunks. I usually need to turn him like a piece of meat or I think he will allow himself to be injured.

The puggle in my avatar will get so unbelievably close to the front glass, which I can't leave my hand near for over 1 second. She lays on the rug, sprawled out with her exposed belly facing the heat. It becomes hard for her to keep her eyes open after that. Oh yeah, she eats all the bark and embers on the floors. Stupid dog.

My cat actually sleeps right under the stove. We have a Jotul 600 and burn hot and she loves it.

They are a lot closer than it looks in this picture, they usually use the bricks as a pillow. When it is not as hot as they think it should be they will stand with their noses almost touching it, and whine/sing/howl at it like only boxers can.

Attachments

• wr.jpeg
    wr.jpeg
    65.2 KB · Views: 443
Dog gets her snout under the ash lip of the stove and stays put when I'm reloading. I sometime have to move her out of the way or she will stay there with the door wide open. However, the kitten goes under the stove - sometimes between the bottom heat shield and the stove itself - then gets back into the fireplace opening.

There are times when I do worry about Emmie sleeping too close to the woodstove.

Attachments

• emmie-stove.jpg
    emmie-stove.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 319
Our dog always dons her appropriate PPE before approaching the woodstove. Rick

Attachments

• shield.jpg
    shield.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 471
My lab pup will have nothing to do with it...if I took him out and burried him in snow he'd be much happier.

We have been burning for about a month. Pre stove, my dog would follow the sun around the house and sleep. Now he just stays on the couch in front of the stove. But I wish I had a picture of this...I found my 8 yr old daughter, curled up in a blanket, asleep in front of the stove tonight. Very cute! There are many times that the whole family is together in the room of the stove, just because of the comfort. A very nice, unexpected, benefit....

carl spackler said:
We have been burning for about a month. Pre stove, my dog would follow the sun around the house and sleep. Now he just stays on the couch in front of the stove. But I wish I had a picture of this...I found my 8 yr old daughter, curled up in a blanket, asleep in front of the stove tonight. Very cute! There are many times that the whole family is together in the room of the stove, just because of the comfort. A very nice, unexpected, benefit....

Better than a hot tub. You can't (or probably shouldn't) put the dog in the tub! :cheese:

CHris

Don't have a pic, but my Red Bone Hound, Darla blocked me from getting to the stove last weekend.

I have a 95 pound Black Lab who had me amazed that he loves to lay on the back deck in the snow literally for hours! Thought it was funny but then realized he lays on a sofa about 15 ft from the stove, I put my hand on him and thought he was hot enough to combust!

The cat hates the thing, stove and dog!

I have two cats, both long-haired. I caught one, half Maine Coon (built for cold) with her front paws on the raised hearth and her nose almost on the glass of the insert in high burn. The other cat was lying at the opposite end of the room with her face right on the fan I have on the floor blowing cold air from the bedroom. Critters are weird.

fossil said:
Our dog always dons her appropriate PPE before approaching the woodstove. Rick

Is that truly PPE or is she just wearing the tinfoil hat to foil the aliens and their brainwave-reading apparatus? :) ;)

I have a 23 year old daughter and a 3 year old cat who curl up together in front of the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.