Anyone familiar with the Arada Farringdon or Supreme Novo?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ArbyDean

Feb 1, 2024
Idaho
I've been looking for a suitable stove for my new place for over a year. I prefer European styling and the log store under the stove. I want the stove to be EPA compliant though (in case some official asks). And I want to keep the price below $4,000. That doesn't leave me a lot of options...at least that appeal to me.

The home I'm building is passive solar using straw bale. construction. The walls will be well insulated. The floor is thoroughly insulated, and the roof has a continuous layer of rigid foam for an R50. So....the house is extremely well insulated and shouldn't have great heating needs. The house is 900 square feet. The area the stove will sit in is 500 square which is fairly open so heat can travel around. That 500 square foot area is the main area I want to heat. The ceiling slopes from 8' tall on one side to 12' on the other side.

Turns out, I overlooked one of my favorite looking stoves: the Arada Farringdon. It's available in the 12 and larger 16. I can't find any info on the square footage they will heat though. The other stove is the Supreme Novo 18.

Is anyone familiar with either of those stoves? If not, anyone want to offer their opinion on the Arada Farringdon? Is the 12 big enough for my needs?Right now, either of those Aradas are my preferred stove...by quite a margin. Supreme Novo comes in second.

Thanks,
AD

I'm interested in hearing responses on the Farringdon 16. I plan to have one installed this year. Unfortunately I've come across a few anecdotal threads in which people complain about smoke spillage. I'd really like to hear more from users of these stoves, particularly those who don't have such issues to offset some of the negative sentiments.

I'm interested in hearing responses on the Farringdon 16. I plan to have one installed this year. Unfortunately I've come across a few anecdotal threads in which people complain about smoke spillage. I'd really like to hear more from users of these stoves, particularly those who don't have such issues to offset some of the negative sentiments.

While I can't speak for the Farringdon, I would guess.... from my own experience, and from what I have personally witnessed in watching others feed wood stoves over the years.... is that most smoke spillage is the result of operation rather than a fault of the stove. The type of wood, the size of wood, the wood's moisture content, and the timing of opening the door and how quickly it is opened......it all plays a role. Of course, that isn't to mention a host of other installation factors. In other words, I think smoke is more often than not operator driven. Personally, I wouldn't put too much stock in a few anecdotal posts.

That said, as much as I like the Farringdon....my wife prefers the Rais Q-Tee 2. And its door swing does suit our layout better. So...as of now, it appears we will be getting the Rais.

Reactions: afjpzrqn4
I have no experience with this stove. But a(nother) major cause of smoke spillage is insufficient draft.
So does your chimney height meet the requirements mentioned in the manual for the stove you have?

I have no experience with this stove. But a(nother) major cause of smoke spillage is insufficient draft.
So does your chimney height meet the requirements mentioned in the manual for the stove you have?
I don't have a stove yet, I'm currently on the market for one. When i do install I'll be sure to meet the requirements. Thank you :)

Reactions: stoveliker
Good. Regarding online bad reviews, be aware that folks happy with their stove rarely take the time and effort to write about it. It's when problems appear that folks go online and ask/complain.

Is this stove covered in the review section of hearth.com? (And if not and if you get it, please post a review;-) )

Reactions: afjpzrqn4

I failed to mention draft. Thanks. That is as likely a culprit as anything I mentioned. Namely is people keeping their dampers (air supply) closed or nearly so there's more smoldering going on than burning....then opening the door.