Anyone familiar with UbiFi for Internet?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Verizon has launched its wireless 5G in some markets. Speeds are typically 300 mb/sec with speeds up to 1gb/sec. Its $50 a month for current Verizon customers and $70 for non Verizon customers. When this expands and turns out to be reliable its going to put some serious competition on wire to home based isp's.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/5g/home/

Verizon has launched its wireless 5G in some markets. Speeds are typically 300 mb/sec with speeds up to 1gb/sec. Its $50 a month for current Verizon customers and $70 for non Verizon customers. When this expands and turns out to be reliable its going to put some serious competition on wire to home based isp's.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/5g/home/

I'd be leery of anything VZW related. They used to offer their HomeFusion which was the 4G version touted as the same thing. It started out with unlimited data, then throttled, then limited to 60g/month, all the while the price went up.

They keep chasing new tech while their existing infrastructure goes to crap. 5 years ago there was great service from my house to where I work, now there's 3 dead spots that have no signal.

They also took money here in PA to expand rural broadband service then said it wasn't feasible because there weren't enough subscribers.

4G wasn’t really intended for home internet replacement. That is one of the big things they are touting with 5G. I think the new round of unlimited 4G options are driven by the fact that the cell carriers are beefing up theirs backhaul networks in anticipation of 5G.

When 5G rolls out here, I will switch immediately. It I’ll be a game changer in the industry.

-SF

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

@SlyFerret Can you please help me out, I just got ubifi and having nothing but issues?
its driving me crazy

4G wasn’t really intended for home internet replacement. That is one of the big things they are touting with 5G. I think the new round of unlimited 4G options are driven by the fact that the cell carriers are beefing up theirs backhaul networks in anticipation of 5G.

When 5G rolls out here, I will switch immediately. It I’ll be a game changer in the industry.

-SF

Might want to wait a bit unless you are dependent on a cell system for internet. I've read that due to the complexity and cost of rolling out 5G, the initial offerings will be more like 4.5G. Rural areas will lag as usual.

Might want to wait a bit unless you are dependent on a cell system for internet. I've read that due to the complexity and cost of rolling out 5G, the initial offerings will be more like 4.5G. Rural areas will lag as usual.
I have nothing now at all. ubifi was doing great but last two weeks very low speeds, added cloud link through mofinetwork. is there a way for me to use my own router and get my devices on that to prevent the strict nats

Not really a lot to it. What problems are you having and what is your signal strength?
seems like the internet does great like for the web etc, but speeds show crap on speakeasy etc and getting lots of lag in gaming, so we added the cloud link to give static ip and it seems worse.
we were getting strict nat in Xbox and We are huge gamers. Lots of gamers swear by this when you are rural. 2 weeks ago no issues but now its just crap

UbiFi runs on AT&T wireless. I had some service issues a couple days ago. I’m pretty sure it was a network problem that I was experiencing because it also seemed to affect our phones that are also on AT&T.

To answer your question, yes the UbiFi router can be out in a bridge mode that makes it act as a modem only. That is how I set mine up. I forget what they call that mode, but I can look it up for you.

Edit: they call it IP pass through.

What does your signal level look like there? Have you looked at the RSSI value that your router is reporting? I’m wondering if they AT&T is having some sort of partially outage on the nearest tower to you.

-SF

I have been using Ubifi for one year now. I average 15 Mbs download and it had been highly reliable. I do see some fluctuation in speed some days, but it does allow me to stream video and my kids play online games.

It’s been working great for me still. My family is sitting on the couch watching last nights World Series game 3 that I had YouTube tv record for me.

Speeds have been stable at 30-50 megs. I have yet to detect any throttling in any month since I have had the service.

If you have good AT&T LTE signal in your area, you probably won’t be disappointed.

-SF

Does this have to be mounted outside? Or can it just sit on top of my bookshelf, inside, where all my other network stuff is?

Mine sits inside on a little table. They do make an external antenna which you would just run the coax outside. I don’t use an external antenna

Ok folks, Wildblue, whom got bought by Exede, who got bought by Viasat, is going to be shutting down the old legacy sat beams in about a month or less. The options are to buy into a new 24 month contract on the new bird, with less bandwidth allowance at more cost, and at 14 years of satellite and getting shafted, I am all about getting away from satellite!

I have sketchy ATT cell coverage on my phone which gets 2 bars of 4G LTE in a couple spots of the house, and zip in other spots. At the end of my 900' long driveway is zero connectivity.

For those of you using Ubifi, do you think I will get a decent connection, possibly with an exterior antenna? I want to shitcan the sat internet, sat TV & 2 verizon landines all total costing me over $400.00 a month.

The plan is some decent internet, with VOIP & Hulu, Youtube TV or something comparable. I have to stop the frustration, expenses & craziness! Input appreciated!

Reactions: SpaceBus
Ok folks, Wildblue, whom got bought by Exede, who got bought by Viasat, is going to be shutting down the old legacy sat beams in about a month or less. The options are to buy into a new 24 month contract on the new bird, with less bandwidth allowance at more cost, and at 14 years of satellite and getting shafted, I am all about getting away from satellite!

I have sketchy ATT cell coverage on my phone which gets 2 bars of 4G LTE in a couple spots of the house, and zip in other spots. At the end of my 900' long driveway is zero connectivity.

For those of you using Ubifi, do you think I will get a decent connection, possibly with an exterior antenna? I want to shitcan the sat internet, sat TV & 2 verizon landines all total costing me over $400.00 a month.

The plan is some decent internet, with VOIP & Hulu, Youtube TV or something comparable. I have to stop the frustration, expenses & craziness! Input appreciated!

I've got none to one LTE inside the house for AT&T a yagi antenna gets me enough bandwidth to stream Netflix on 3 devices.

Reactions: Hogwildz
I've got none to one LTE inside the house for AT&T a yagi antenna gets me enough bandwidth to stream Netflix on 3 devices.
Thanks for the input

Can you tell me what brand & model # modem they use?

I only get about 2 bars with my Ubifi and that gives me about 15 Mbs download speed. I also had to find the sweet spot in my house because most places I only got one bar.

Well I am going to build my own router/modem set up. I joined a group to gain knowledge and have a few folks helping me. The Ubifi looks good, but expensive. I should be able to hook into ATT or Verizon's tower(s) & plan with no throttling, with a little help of programing. I have the guy helping me mapping and surveying the towers for best carrier & signal. Wildblue is actually going to kill the bird I am on in the new few weeks, so cutting it close. I will be shitcanning Wildblue for satellite, Direct TV for TV & 2 Verizon landlines, all costing me over $400 a month. Prolly about $50-$70 for the plan, unlimited bandwidth, and if good enough signal, Hulu or similar & Voip phone. If this works out, I will be happy as a pig in doo doo. :)

Last edited:
Well I am going to build my own router/modem set up. I joined a group to gain knowledge and have a few folks helping me. The Ubifi looks good, but expensive. I should be able to hook into ATT or Verizon's tower(s) & plan with no throttling, with a little help of programing. I have the guy helping me mapping and surveying the towers for best carrier & signal. Wildblue is actually going to kill the bird I am on in the new few weeks, so cutting it close. I will be shitcanning Wildblue for satellite, Direct TV for TV & 2 Verizon landlines, all costing me over $400 a month. Prolly about $50-$70 for the plan, unlimited bandwidth, and if good enough signal, Hulu or similar & Voip phone. If this works out, I will be happy as a pig in doo doo. :)

I'd been researching UbiFi last summer, needed to pull the trigger & got tied up w/ a new job. Now w/ COVID-19, I'm working remotely AND the kids are here full-time 'home-schooling' indefinitely & none of us can get anything accomplished online. I immediately go to sign up for UbiFi as soon as they announced school closings & UbiFi is closed down/not accepting orders.
I've looked through Reddit & some other areas...I've now signed up here, desperately interested in your setup & programming assistance, what group you joined, etc., etc. Anything that would help me figure this out before the quarantine drives me mad.

I'd been researching UbiFi last summer, needed to pull the trigger & got tied up w/ a new job. Now w/ COVID-19, I'm working remotely AND the kids are here full-time 'home-schooling' indefinitely & none of us can get anything accomplished online. I immediately go to sign up for UbiFi as soon as they announced school closings & UbiFi is closed down/not accepting orders.
I've looked through Reddit & some other areas...I've now signed up here, desperately interested in your setup & programming assistance, what group you joined, etc., etc. Anything that would help me figure this out before the quarantine drives me mad.

If you have a decent cell signal inside buy the MOFI4500 or similar cell router from another source. Pick whichever cell provider gives you the best service and buy a "bring your own phone" Sim card and put it in the router.

Reactions: T2D2 and ben94122
Wow, I can't believe you don't have a single WISP servicing that area.

Yep, the downside of living in the woods.

If you use Facebook, join this group LTE HACKS
I am new there, but learning a good bit, and also got a member who does this stuff helping me out.
When I get set up and running, I'll post some details here to help.

Reactions: T2D2
A good external antenna system may help quite a bit. For best reception two antennas are required, mounted 90º apart (one data one voice set up for MIMO reception with a MIMO modem) . Accurate aiming to the nearest cell tower is important. There are some good cellphone apps for this.

We're researching this now for a friend up north in a very weak reception area and no cable or phoneline option. They are on Verizon, but the equipment is similar. Here is what we are currently thinking of installing.

Antennas:
2 of these + cabling and a mast
Amazon product ASIN B00J14YEHQ
Cheaper solution, but not as strong and needs better weatherproofing.
Amazon product ASIN B01NBSLNJ6
We may use their current router, will know better after testing. If not, looking at this one:
Stronger router and wifi:
4G router
Amazon product ASIN B01EY11K40
Some install info

Put the free OpenSignal app on your phone to accurately locate the cell tower.

Last edited: