Anyone feedback on a Woodstock Ben Franklin?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Nov 30, 2016
Mansfield, ohio
They are on sale right now and was wondering if anyone here was using one? It’s cold in here!

My house is shaped like a T. I have a coal stove in the basement of the top of the T but am thinking about adding a gas stove to the first floor of the bottom of the T. The stove would run pretty much continuously five months of the year.

I bought a 500 gallon used propane tank. I need a lot of BTUs. I really want a furnace, but none of the five furnace guys who have looked at the job have ever returned with an estimate. It must be a bit of a mind boggler, as the house has no ducting.

Any suggestions on install? Operation? Good points and bad? Picture taken while we were doing some repairs, hence the messy yard.
444EC739-E1B7-42D8-B4A1-C7350A0932A6.jpeg

Not familiar with the model, but reading the info posted here:

I see that they rate it at 34K BTU OUTPUT. That is incorrect
based on the specs listed. Burning LP it has a 33,833 BTU INPUT
rating, but when you multiply that x 77% efficiency, you get 26,051
BTU OUTPUT. That may not be enough for that old stone structure,
unless you have it heavily insulated & tight.

Thank you for your figuring and comments - I was wondering about those numbers. No insulation, just thick stone walls and single pane windows. And many leaks. For me, $2,600 is a lot to spend for a measly 26,000 btu. I have been looking at used gas models but they are hard to find in any brand.

Look for a standing pilot unit. It's as basic as they come.
No newfangled electronics to worry about, & you can
put a remote or a thermostat on it. 50% turn down rate, too.

Reactions: Oldcoldstonehouse
Jotul. Vermont Castings - although I'm not sure if a standing pilot is available.
Hearthstone makes nice looking units as does Regency/Hampton.
I'm sure there are others out there, you'll have to visit your local
hearth shops & see what they offer...

Reactions: Oldcoldstonehouse