Anyone getting a lot of creosote build up in E classic?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jd6030

May 21, 2008
central Indiana
I have dual fuel E classic and have lots of creosote on back ledge of firebox. It has gotten into gas nozzle for firebox and no more dual fuel and if you try to use it ruinny creosote comes out and goes all over the solenoids and fan. Dealer has 2 other E classics running and one has a dry firebox and other has lots of creosote and the one with dry firebox burns greener wood than other guy that has problems with dry seasoned wood. Also seems to have been an issue when I changed directions of loading with wood. I was puting ends of wood toward door and back wall of box and was getting wood bridging every day. Switched by putting wood ends to side walls of firebox and bridging is no longer a problem and will burn wood from front to back and know have lots of creosote. Just curious if any users have had issues?

I would suspect that the unit is getting a little air from somewhere during the off cycle allowing it to smolder a bit which will cause any wood burner to creosote. Burn it hot and fast. Maybe smaller and more frequent wood loads would help. Try it for a couple weeks and see. As far as the back up burner goes, I don't recommend anyone purchasing such a device. They are terribly inefficient in most cases and the firing rate is often too low to prevent flue gas condensation if the water temp is much below 170*. A better choice is an independent backup boiler.

I have had quite a bit of trouble with creosote build up with my E Classic (not dual fuel). It ran well for the first few months but began to starve for air and couldn't keep up temp, despite the fan running on high 24/7. I cleaned the fire box of a large amount of thick tarry creasote (no small feat), most of it in the back. It improved somewhat but the improvement was temporary. I dove in again today out of total frustration, and found the air inlet pipe to the fire box 80% blocked with thick gooey creosote (see attached pics). The lower air inlet to the reaction chamber inlet was clean as a whistle.

It appears as though the cresote oozed in from the fire box. Say what you want about running a hot fire but you can't run it open enough all the time to prevent the creosote buildup unless you want to boil the water. I'm thinking that the air holes in the back of the fire box need to go. Anyone else had this problem?

smlkdl said:
I have had quite a bit of trouble with creosote build up with my E Classic (not dual fuel). It ran well for the first few months but began to starve for air and couldn't keep up temp, despite the fan running on high 24/7. I cleaned the fire box of a large amount of thick tarry creasote (no small feat), most of it in the back. It improved somewhat but the improvement was temporary. I dove in again today out of total frustration, and found the air inlet pipe to the fire box 80% blocked with thick gooey creosote (see attached pics). The lower air inlet to the reaction chamber inlet was clean as a whistle.

It appears as though the cresote oozed in from the fire box. Say what you want about running a hot fire but you can't run it open enough all the time to prevent the creosote buildup unless you want to boil the water. I'm thinking that the air holes in the back of the fire box need to go. Anyone else had this problem?

To burn wood clean you need to burn it all, burn it hot and burn it fast. That's why God invented storage. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.