anyone got one of these splitters???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds very productive...I checked out all the pics. For me I split some big rounds that I presently ramp up to my low profile bronze age splitter and I was wondering if those tubular log holders would support heaver splits. I like the idea of a 2 way splitter though.

I just received my northern catalog yesterday and saw those splitters. It looks like northern is starting to sell more and more made in China stuff. I am not a label whore but would like to know who makes that engine, I would take any brand name i.e. Honda, Robin, Briggs, Kohler Etc., I think that engine is a chinese knock off. Anyway about the splitter I would like to know how many tons it has in both directions, the retract stroke would have to have significantly less power. Also the operator would have to slide the log back and forth to get it around the wedge each stroke? I would also wonder if it has and auto detent, probably not for safety sake. In the end it is an interesting concept but I doubt there would be any real savings in speed.

It seems overpriced to me for a horizontal only splitter with a ? engine.
I went to the Harbor Freight web site to see what the latest price on the 30 ton splitter that I have (it's now 1400, I paid 1000 a little while ago). But I saw this horizontal splitter with a hydraulic lift, that I would think would seem interesting to the horizontal people: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96907

The Robin engine is pretty good, in my opinion.

Edit: I didn't see the 2-way thing, so maybe it isn't overpriced.

I doubt it splits "twice" as fast. The blade with less resistance is going to be doing more of the splitting.

It would be really tough to make this a vertical splitter as well- where would you stand the log? LOL

vertical is a must have if your doing biger rounds and they can get very heavy

I would have to agree verticle is very important and would be a deal breaker for me. Even though I have never used mine in the verticle I do like having to only lift the log once then rotating as the splits fall off the side. With horizontal the splits get pushed off the back side and need to be lifted again unless you have a nice table on the back side like the super splitters have. I imagine this splitter could be modified to split vertical but then it would only be working in the down stroke.

velvetfoot said:
It seems overpriced to me for a horizontal only splitter with a ? engine.
I went to the Harbor Freight web site to see what the latest price on the 30 ton splitter that I have (it's now 1400, I paid 1000 a little while ago). But I saw this horizontal splitter with a hydraulic lift, that I would think would seem interesting to the horizontal people: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96907

The Robin engine is pretty good, in my opinion.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91840

Edit: I didn't see the 2-way thing, so maybe it isn't overpriced.
Let me say Hi to you all fine peeps here.I just gave in and bought my log splitter after tormenting my self with all kinds of products and prices ( more from my wife ~) so she ended up going to the Harbor Freight store and got me the 30 ton with a 9HP Robin Subaru engine and the 16 GPM Haldex pump ~
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91840
Now here come the fun part,it took them about 9 days to have it shipped to the store,and I decided to call them to find out if the log splitter will be ready to go or will it require assembly,he guy on the phone say ...it will take you 10 min to "just put the pin in (!?) and you ready to go" ...well not quite like that,my wife co-worker was suppose to help us tow it home,so he called the store to double check,got the same story ..just a pin and ready to go!!!!!!!!! Not likely,the wheels needed to be put on ..no greaseon the weelbearings,no hydraulic fluid in nor info what kind ( which brings me to you guys ~ how I determine what do I put in ? ~what kind ) see the manual they have ! http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/manuals.taf?f=form&ItemID=91840
and what about the engine no specs of what oil and how much ...I feel like a dumb a$$ .

any info to get me started ..I got to go to the store this sat and would like to get a head start ...with the fluids etc .

thanks and take care .

marius

I downloaded the engine's owners manual, service manual, and parts list from the Robin site, which was one more reason I feel good about Robin. I know I got a manual for the Robin engine with my splitter-this unit is brand new?. I can email them to you if you want and it makes it easier, but they're probably still on the Robin site.

Key is getting the unit home in one piece. I'd read those directions real well, make sure those wheels spin well. When you get home you can make sure there's oil in the engine, etc. I think I initially overthought the hydraulic oil thing. I'd go for cheap next time. I got the good stuff at NAPA, but next time (which won't be in a while I hope), I think I'll get the cheaper stuff.

For an inexpensive spiltter I think the little brave with the 3 1/2 hp. Briggs @$699.00 ($599.00 on sale) from Northern tool is the best deal at the moment for a decent quality American made, gas powered, horizontal, towable spiltter.

velvetfoot said:
I downloaded the engine's owners manual, service manual, and parts list from the Robin site, which was one more reason I feel good about Robin. I know I got a manual for the Robin engine with my splitter-this unit is brand new?. I can email them to you if you want and it makes it easier, but they're probably still on the Robin site.

Key is getting the unit home in one piece. I'd read those directions real well, make sure those wheels spin well. When you get home you can make sure there's oil in the engine, etc. I think I initially overthought the hydraulic oil thing. I'd go for cheap next time. I got the good stuff at NAPA, but next time (which won't be in a while I hope), I think I'll get the cheaper stuff.
thanks ! velvetfoot found it ( the web site )
http://www.robinamerica.com/smanuals.aspx?sid=7

take care
marius

Thanks for the link on the Robin website VF - I'll be grabbing the manuals as well - I just pulled the trigger on the HF 30 ton as well - on sale at the HF website for $1299, plus $86.99 S&H;.

I'm actually amazed by the delivery speed - I ordered it 9/14, it's supposed to be here TOMORROW (9/19) - looking forward to that big box!

I'm currently planning to put the Dexron ATF in it for hydraulic, probably a good basic 4-stroke oil for the engine.

Gooserider

Adios Pantalones said:
I doubt it splits "twice" as fast. The blade with less resistance is going to be doing more of the splitting.

It would be really tough to make this a vertical splitter as well- where would you stand the log? LOL

I may be wrong, but I don't think it splits both directions 'at once'. My impression was that the wedge moves all the way to the left side (and splits what ever happens to be there. They you are ready to drop a log on the right side and the wedge moves all the way to the right and splits what ever is there, etc. So essentially, there is no 'return stroke'

I'd be curious to see how they set up the hydro cylinder. Seems like one way you'd have pressure on the entire face of the piston and get full splitting force. But the opposite direction would be acting on the piston + rod. So the rod area wouldn't be generating force and you'd have a little less power that direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.