Anyone got pics of a basement wood chute / slide?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeanBrown3D

Hearth Supporter
Oct 16, 2006
Princeton, NJ
I need a wood chute from outside ground level to my basement. There are windows that are around 3' wide and 18" tall. I was planning a horizontal section of about 2' inside and out, and then on the inside section, a slope of 45 degrees down to the floor, all made of 3/4" plywood. Might put wheels on it so I can easily push it out of the window and back when I'm done.

Any other hints for getting wood into basement welcomed. I need to do around 6 cords a year for my furnace.

Cheers,

Dean

Dean, I was thinking about doing the exact same thing as your plan but I have enough room to stack about a cord of wood just inside that window and I have the windows that remove easily so I just pulled off the window and proceeded to throw in 10 wheelbarrow loads in. Did this one day, stacked that week, and threw in 10 more loads. I now have at least 2 face cords, closer to three. Given, this is in an unfinished section of the basement so I could just throw splits in and they hit the bare floor.

Worked fine for me. Perhaps you don't have the same type of windows.

MarkG

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply!. I have large pieces to move, I would be concerned about them breaking the floor! I'm talking about 11" rounds. Are you not worried about damaging the concrete?
Also my windows are quite small and low down, and my basement is tall (9-10') so the drop is quite large.

We have a 4 foot section of 18" 3/4 wall pvc pipe in the side of our basement that dad put in. Once it was in, he cemented it into the foundation. It works well for wood or coal. I can guarantee anything that is thrown on it wont bust it. We have a door and a piece of 6" foam batt inside it to insulate it. We have the old boulder foundation.

Laynes69 - How can it be only 4' long? I don't see what that can do.

That would be 4"

my first concern would be some sort of covering that would absolutely prevent water intrusion to the basement. The second would be insects. I'm guessing the stove is in the basement, otherswise you'd have to walk the wood up the staires and that sounds awful.

David - I intend to open the window and roll it over to do the wood, and then take it back and close the window afterwards. And yes, the furnace is in the basement.

Status
Not open for further replies.