Anyone have experience with ceramic (Kaowool board fabrication?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
My quest for a System 2000 oil boiler combustion chamber is going nowhere, parts need to be bought through dealers and the number of dealers in my area are slim to none and they are nor returning calls. Lynn manufacturing makes numerous replacement combustion changes for many brands but when I called them they told me they do not make System 200 chambers. I was planning to install it to replace the backup boiler to my wood boiler but some critter built a nest in the combustion chamber and chewed a hole in it. The chamber is basically solid except for one corner. I bought some Kaowool "board" and planning to cut a square section in the corner of the chamber and install a patch. I picked up a tube of ceramic cement that claims that it can be used as a cement as well as top coat for worn areas. The combustion chamber shows signs that it was built up out of pieces and glued so my guess is patch should work. I am aware of the respiratory hazards of dealing with silica and plan to wear a respirator when working on it.

People who build blacksmith forges use Kaowool and Kaowool board to line their forges with, there are various cautions about using a fumed silica wash to "rigidize" the ceramic. Does anyone know if Kaowool board would need this done to it?.

I expect various folks must run into this when rebuilding wood stove combustion chambers but nor sure if Kaowool board would hold up to abuse of wood burning which is probably a lot more abuse than an oil boiler. I will have plenty of left over Kaowool board and may try it out in place of some quarter inch steel baffels on my wood boiler that have limited life.

The rocket stove guys fool with this kind of thing all the time...those guys should be in the know on this...

My understanding is that if its a blanket material, it can shed fibers until its in place and then soaked with a fumed silica "ridgidizer". Once heated, the silica seals surface from fiber release and makes it less prone to damage. Lots of You Tube videos on lining forges with ceramic.