Anyone have experience with Lennox Ladera / BIS Nova Fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Islander08

Nov 20, 2008
Northern Vermont
Hi Everyone,

My first post, but I've already learned a lot by reading everyone's comments!

I'm in the market for a new high efficiency fireplace. I've had a Superior zero clearance open fireplace for 10 years now, and am tired of all my heat going up the chimney. Also it has an air cooled chimney, which leaks a stream of cold air into my living room. I live in northern Vermont, so that's a long winter of a chilly living room. We use the fireplace mainly on weekends, but have lots of storm wood, so looking to use it more to supplement heat on a more regular basis (perhaps 50-75%?).

I'd like to use the existing rough opening, but get a new fireplace and insulated chimney. I have an existing mantle and wood box (with a back door to the garage...god's gift to word burning) that I'd like to not mess with.

I've looked at most of the EPA-rated models mentioned in the various posts here. I need a smaller unit by the looks of what's out there. A local dealer showed me a Lennox Brentwood / BIS Ulima that would roughly fit (need to raise the mantle couple inches). Another dealer introduced my to the Lennox Ladera / BIS Nova which is new this year. That one would drop right in, with almost no mods.

The Ladera / Nova is a less expensive unit by almost $1000...$1995 plus variable speed controller and chimney. It includes and seems to be designed for a blower, as it has no louvers for natural convection. Some of the cost difference seems to be the door, which looks like fabricated steel instead of cast iron on the Brentwood / Ultima. I don't much care about the looks...actually the steel Ladera / Nova is a little cleaner looking to me because of no louvers. I'm guessing the steel door is a little lighter, which might be better for usability.

My question is does anyone have any experience with the Lennox Ladera / Security Chimney's BIS Nova? Neither one generated any hits on the search here, but being new I'm not surprised...

Here's the link to the Mfg sites:

http://www.securitychimneys.com/pages/fireplace/high_BisNova.asp?country=us
http://www.lennoxhearthproducts.com/products/overview.asp?pid=538

Thanks!!! Jeff

Jeff,

Did you end up purchasing the Nova/Ladera?

I am having a similar dilema. No dealer to visit nearby to touch the new model.

My considerations are the Napoleon NZ26, Nova, or the RSF Topaz.

Thanks!

I did buy the BIS Nova. Ordered it from FireplacesNow.com, which ended up being a smooth transaction (I'm not affiliated with them). $2027 delivered.

Just working on installing it now, so can't report on performance. My initial impressions of the BIS Nova are:

- Seems like a sturdy unit. Heavier gauge sheet metal than the fireplace I removed.
- Quiet Blower! It comes factory-installed, and is located near the back of the unit. Seems 1/2 as loud as the blower on my old fireplace.
- I like the no-louver design. It allows tile to go right up near the door, keeping the fireplace facing small.
- Security Chimney's pipe seems like similar quality to Metalbestos, but less money (I bought mine from an HVAC supplier). Doesn't have the extra locking band.

Should have a fire burning the next couple days. Will provide an update...

Hope this helps...Jeff

Yes, Please keep me posted.

My wife would be thrilled if this is the one we got. I was leaning towards the RSF Topaz. Have you seen this one and can compare?

Glad to hear the firebox is sturdy. I was worried that this was an "appliance" grade heater vs a heavier duty fireplace.

Nice price too.

Thanks Jeff

Matt

Burned about 100 splits so far in the BIS Nova. Working well and putting out plenty of heat.

The Nova is a no-frills unit. which is fine with us. The door is plain flat steel...simple. The louver-less design allows tile up close to the door. I'm still working on that...planning to face it with cement board and tile. Their manual mentions a cast facade kit, but no info on that from the factory or dealer.

I looked at a BIS Ultima and the firebox looked the about the same.

The blower is OK, but it shuts off when the stove gets hot. Seems like a thermal switch cycling (see other post).

So far so good...

Island,

Did you end up with the Nova/Ladera? Mine's still working fine except for a minor blower issue. Burned about 2 cords so far. Still like it...no real complaints.

Islander08,

Are you still happy with your fireplace? We're considering that model. Did you use the ducting option? If you don't mind my asking, how much was it total, chimney and all? Also, how many sq ft are you heating and how much wood are you burning through?

Thanks,

Ann

The BIS Nova is fine so far.

Only problem has been the blower. It's a design problem with a new model blower. The factory has been helpful with sending me parts, although they still have some work to do to fix it correctly.

I bought the fireplace unit from FireplacesNow.com for just over $2K. The chimney I bought locally and that ran about $1K, but I needed a pair of offset elbows which were expensive. The straight pipe is reasonable. I bought it from an HVAC distributor who sells most of it for oil burners. The pricing was much better than a fireplace shop. FireplacesNow also supplies the chimney, but I saved over $400 getting it locally.

I bought the ducting adapter, but never hooked it up. The enclosure is nicely insulated, and I couldn't get myself to cut a hole in it. Also the duct routing was difficult in my application. Those two issues, plus the fact that its heating our house fine as is, made me not go that route.

Our house is about 1700 SF, and the BIS Nova heats most of it. The far rooms still have some heat calls from the oil burner. Oil use data suggests about a 60% reduction, and this includes hot water. So I think the BIS Nova is covering about 75% of the heat load.

We've burned about 2 cords for a partial winter this year (installed late December). We don't normally load it full very often, only at night, and one of us is usually up for a reload at some point during the night. We usually burn 2-3 logs at a time, and the reload time is about 1 hour per log on average. I'm splitting 3 cords for next winter now...

Hope this helps...

Thanks. That helps a lot. Since we have nearly 3000 sq ft I'm thinking we might want to look at a bigger fireplace. My cousin is an HVAC guy. I'll have to see if he can help me with the chimney.

Thanks again for the help.

Ann

Status
Not open for further replies.