modified chimney and gas logs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

loslobos

Jan 18, 2024
tennessee
Looking for advice and info. I have a masonry wood burning fireplace. The chimney was modified by being took down to just under the roofline when a new roof was installed. I would like to install ventless gas logs using the existing fireplace just for occasional supplemental heat. It is my understanding that ventless logs do not require a functional chimney or damper. I would like to seal off the throat/damper with stainless steel, and then hook up the logs. If necessary I can cap the upper part of the chimney also.
Here is my issue: the chimney sweep i hired to inspect/clean the chimney and fireplace said since my chimney has been modified I have to use an insert(which I don’t want and already have purchased logs). They stated there are issues using vent free logs with the chimney and it must be rebuilt to code if using logs. I asked for an explanation and have yet to receive one on why I cannot use VF logs with chimney sealed off since no damper or chimney is required.
Am I missing something? it’s an open living area, not confined so no additional combustion air is needed.

Does someone have any knowledge on why this would be?

Thanks

Looking for advice and info. I have a masonry wood burning fireplace. The chimney was modified by being took down to just under the roofline when a new roof was installed. I would like to install ventless gas logs using the existing fireplace just for occasional supplemental heat. It is my understanding that ventless logs do not require a functional chimney or damper. I would like to seal off the throat/damper with stainless steel, and then hook up the logs. If necessary I can cap the upper part of the chimney also.
Here is my issue: the chimney sweep i hired to inspect/clean the chimney and fireplace said since my chimney has been modified I have to use an insert(which I don’t want and already have purchased logs). They stated there are issues using vent free logs with the chimney and it must be rebuilt to code if using logs. I asked for an explanation and have yet to receive one on why I cannot use VF logs with chimney sealed off since no damper or chimney is required.
Am I missing something? it’s an open living area, not confined so no additional combustion air is needed.

Does someone have any knowledge on why this would be?

Thanks
You couldn't pay me to run room vented gas logs in my home

Reactions: ozarkoak
I'm not sure why he says you can't install them - I would think that has not much to do with the history of things, but with the current state and the code requirements.

That said, vent free is a good marketing phrase.
What it means in reality is "exhaust in your room and breathe it in".
Hence see previous post.

Reactions: ozarkoak