Anyone heard of a Heiss Masonary Heater/Boiler?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone out there wondering about heiss heaters, do your research and choose another company!!!!!! I have owned a 2010,2011 and now a 2012 model 3000 unit. I replaced first two units because of failures with the products heiss sells you, such as pump failures and them using me the customer as a guinea pig to improve their product. I have had to do more research to educate myself along with Heiss on why I had my numerous issues. My 2010 model was the first one they actual insulated on the exterior and the copper pipes inside were all soidered, well I had a circulating pump failure(which creates diesater for the boiler) and the boiler overheated resaulting in the soidered joints to come apart and crack the boiler, which released all the water and delaminated all the insulation. Boiler now destoyed in 3 months of ownership they tell me they will be releasing a new boiler for 2011 called the elite series but I will have to pay for the upgrades( which I thought was complete BS) so I agree just so I would have a boiler again. Well I waited 3 monthes for the new boiler, now it is middle of July and I finally get the new boiler and was so upset about their comnication and ignoring my calls. Found out they were filling other new customer orders before getting mine!!!!! I start new season with new unit again and 2 months in the season my heat exchangers plug up with scale out of my lines from sitting over the summer. This resulted in another over heat of the boiler,this time the lines inside stayed togather because they said they braised in the new units, but the exterior insulation exploded off it. the unit was fuctional but not hold heat as well. Being only the second year with a boiler I asked Hiess what would cause this scale build-up in my system. They had now idea and told me they had never seen this before, but they would have a water test done for me to figure it out. NEVER HAPPENED!! So I do my own research and find out that most boiler companies have water testing to know if you need any type of chemical assistance. Come to find out my hard water was what caused the scale to build-up over the summer and eventually pluged my heat exchangers. I call them about the flow control switch that was suppose to come with the Elite series, but mine didn't??? They told me I would have to purchase it from them. Again complete BS in my mind!!! With many phone calls about my destroyed unit and telling them I was going to take action against them if they did not resolve my problems we finally came to a conclusion. Another new unit went into the works, this time I waited another month for the new one and still had to pay for an upgrade again!! Now with a 2012 unit I just had my whole front door and door insert laying on the ground. To make a very long and aggrivating story short.....THREE STRIKES AND THEY ARE OUT!!! I am done with this company!!!

Hey everyone out there wondering about heiss heaters, do your research and choose another company!!!!!! I have owned a 2010,2011 and now a 2012 model 3000 unit. I replaced first two units because of failures with the products heiss sells you, such as pump failures and them using me the customer as a guinea pig to improve their product. I have had to do more research to educate myself along with Heiss on why I had my numerous issues. My 2010 model was the first one they actual insulated on the exterior and the copper pipes inside were all soidered, well I had a circulating pump failure(which creates diesater for the boiler) and the boiler overheated resaulting in the soidered joints to come apart and crack the boiler, which released all the water and delaminated all the insulation. Boiler now destoyed in 3 months of ownership they tell me they will be releasing a new boiler for 2011 called the elite series but I will have to pay for the upgrades( which I thought was complete BS) so I agree just so I would have a boiler again. Well I waited 3 monthes for the new boiler, now it is middle of July and I finally get the new boiler and was so upset about their comnication and ignoring my calls. Found out they were filling other new customer orders before getting mine!!!!! I start new season with new unit again and 2 months in the season my heat exchangers plug up with scale out of my lines from sitting over the summer. This resulted in another over heat of the boiler,this time the lines inside stayed togather because they said they braised in the new units, but the exterior insulation exploded off it. the unit was fuctional but not hold heat as well. Being only the second year with a boiler I asked Hiess what would cause this scale build-up in my system. They had now idea and told me they had never seen this before, but they would have a water test done for me to figure it out. NEVER HAPPENED!! So I do my own research and find out that most boiler companies have water testing to know if you need any type of chemical assistance. Come to find out my hard water was what caused the scale to build-up over the summer and eventually pluged my heat exchangers. I call them about the flow control switch that was suppose to come with the Elite series, but mine didn't??? They told me I would have to purchase it from them. Again complete BS in my mind!!! With many phone calls about my destroyed unit and telling them I was going to take action against them if they did not resolve my problems we finally came to a conclusion. Another new unit went into the works, this time I waited another month for the new one and still had to pay for an upgrade again!! Now with a 2012 unit I just had my whole front door and door insert laying on the ground. To make a very long and aggrivating story short.....THREE STRIKES AND THEY ARE OUT!!! I am done with this company!!!

Just shut our model 3000 down for the year! Worked great! Ash is a chore to clean but only had to do twice last winter. Not looking forward to whats in it but was told it won't hurt it.

Sounds like Heiss Heaters was more then fair with you. Its your responsibility to test your water. We did andand found we had hard water. We used a family members water to fill it.
Did they fix your door right away? Is the unit working good now?
Thats amazing that you plugged it up and over heated it and it still worked.

looks like this design is a large greenwood
Thats what I was thinking. Only with a cast in HX.
We all know what the GW/Seatons do with no provision for secondary air..........
TS

To those of you that are using this for a few years. How is it now that you have had it a few seasons? Are there any major concerns? I saw this and am considering one as my first outdoor boiler.
Thanks
I've had mine for three years. Each year I've had them out for repairs, and even if the part is under warranty, they charge a hefty service charge. I'm 3 years in now and I wish I had never purchased this unit. It regularly needs cleaning due to soot build up. This year I have started having smoke leaking through the handles that they used to lift it off the truck. I also have smoke leaking through the new door that they installed last year for $250. As soon as I can, I plan on spending the money on something that doesn't break so frequently

I was just looking around on ebay and saw a "Masonry Heater" mentioned. I know the spelling is incorrect, but that is the way it was listed. It is made by Heiss Heaters and is said to have secondary combustion. The model shown is not listed as a boiler even though it is and is said to have secondary combustion. You can see it at www.heissheaters.com. I was really surprised by the price as it is less than half of a common gasification unit. They are talking about ceramic masonary which I assume means this unit is made from refractory ceramic. They also claim that due to it's "thermal mass", it has the equivalent of 1000 gallons of storage. I have to say all the numbers sound impressive but I don't know how well this would hold up in the real world.

Just wondering if anyone has seen or heard anything about them. It sounds like a good theory, but I don't want to be a guinea pig. Also, I am in no way affiliated with them but just thought the product was an interesting concept.
I have had mine for three years. I was okay with it the 1st year. Not so much the 2nd year, and this year, the siding is cracking and leaking smoke. When I sent a complaint to the company, they suggested that I clean the stack. When I told them that I had JUST done this, they didn't respond. I wish I had purchased something else

I was just looking around on ebay and saw a "Masonry Heater" mentioned. I know the spelling is incorrect, but that is the way it was listed. It is made by Heiss Heaters and is said to have secondary combustion. The model shown is not listed as a boiler even though it is and is said to have secondary combustion. You can see it at www.heissheaters.com. I was really surprised by the price as it is less than half of a common gasification unit. They are talking about ceramic masonary which I assume means this unit is made from refractory ceramic. They also claim that due to it's "thermal mass", it has the equivalent of 1000 gallons of storage. I have to say all the numbers sound impressive but I don't know how well this would hold up in the real world.

Just wondering if anyone has seen or heard anything about them. It sounds like a good theory, but I don't want to be a guinea pig. Also, I am in no way affiliated with them but just thought the product was an interesting concept.
I bought one three years ago. In my opinion, it's junk

I have heard and read a lot about these boilers. All bad. Buyer beware.

My unit will smoke at first when its first started up and cold but when its hot inside the firebox the secondary burn will kick in very fast and just have heat waves coming out. I dont get much creosote because the firebox gets so hot which helps with getting the heat out of it. The exhaust goes through a baffled system that pulls the heat off. I know they insulate them now but mine was bought when they didnt offer it so i used double foil fire resistant foam and use half the wood.
I need to be fair here, I bought one of the first units, and for them it was a learning curve. I heard that they changed their design and that the newer stoves are better. Even with the problems that I've had, I can say that the unit paid for itself already, and it's still out there heating my home today

Status
Not open for further replies.