Anyone heard of pelpro home heater 300?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

e-zlight

Sep 18, 2012
East Waterboro Maine
So, Stopped by a store tonight, and they have a pelpro home heater 300 on sale. Sounds liek a heck of a deal, but can't find much info from people that actually have experience with them. Can anyone help me out? 300lbs hopper, and rated for 2000sf...Sounds a bit too good to be true for $1000....And it's new...but discontinued?

Discontinued part has me worried...But new, and not a salvage shop deal either.

It's a low cost brand offered by one of the biggest companies in the business.....Hearth and Home Technologies....

My guess is Chinese made, but maybe someone else can confirm whether or not that is true....
http://www.pelprostoves.com/contact.htm

Could be a good deal - but don't expect anyone to come to your home to fix it, etc. - that is, you have to accept that you'd be doing all the troubleshooting and parts replacement, etc.

Looked at the parts replacement videos, and it looks simple enough. Auger motor looks standard, and you may be able to find replacement convection and combustion fans. Who cares if the igniter goes bad with a 300Lb hopper!

I love the idea of a 300Lb hopper. If it were cheap enough, I would place one in my basement.

Bill

It's a low cost brand offered by one of the biggest companies in the business.....Hearth and Home Technologies....

My guess is Chinese made, but maybe someone else can confirm whether or not that is true....
http://www.pelprostoves.com/contact.htm

Could be a good deal - but don't expect anyone to come to your home to fix it, etc. - that is, you have to accept that you'd be doing all the troubleshooting and parts replacement, etc.

No, not a Chinese stove. Pelpro was owned by Dansons (Dan's Sons) and is Canadian made. They also make Cheap Charlie and Glow Boy. HHT recently purchased Dansons. I am still a parts dealer being grandfathered but HHT stopped the drop shipping. #$@@#!! of these parts. I can still get them but enough of that, the stove is good and my support guy there works for HHT now.

Due to the large 265 CFM room blower the heat coming out is not as hot as other stoves (approx 110 Deg F on Heat level 3) but it does work well and is easy to clean and fix. The latest control panel is an Accutron IV which replaces and upgrades all prior digital panels and uses standard snap discs and a vacuum switch. The low limit switch is "open on rise" instead of "close on rise" like all other stoves. The squirrel cage 85 CFM exhaust collects more ash and gets out of balance and vibrates more easily than the standard 11 petal impeller blades so I recommend changing the exhaust blower and housing to an upgraded blower with the 11 petal impeller blades.

Just my experience and 2 cents.
P.S. The damper is touchy which means a slight pull makes a difference but once it is set, it it is fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: stayfitz
So, Stopped by a store tonight, and they have a pelpro home heater 300 on sale. Sounds liek a heck of a deal, but can't find much info from people that actually have experience with them. Can anyone help me out? 300lbs hopper, and rated for 2000sf...Sounds a bit too good to be true for $1000....And it's new...but discontinued?

Discontinued part has me worried...But new, and not a salvage shop deal either.

Which store?

At 110 deg, it actually heats up fine? Currently using a small avalon 900ps as primary with a k1 monitor for backup. (both run on cold nights) (My easyfire 5001U in the other room has issues) I was looking at replacing the avalon with this one. Why was it discontinued? At 110deg, can it keep up on cold nights? This will be my primary heat source, just want to make sure it's up to the task. (rated for 2000sqft, and house is 2300sqft) but the Avalon isn't doing too bad. (40lbs hopper, and all manual)

No, not a Chinese stove. Pelpro was owned by Dansons (Dan's Sons) and is Canadian made. They also make Cheap Charlie and Glow Boy. HHT recently purchased Dansons. I am still a parts dealer being grandfathered but HHT stopped the drop shipping. #$@@#!! of these parts. I can still get them but enough of that, the stove is good and my support guy there works for HHT now.

Due to the large 265 CFM room blower the heat coming out is not as hot as other stoves (approx 110 Deg F on Heat level 3) but it does work well and is easy to clean and fix. The latest control panel is an Accutron IV which replaces and upgrades all prior digital panels and uses standard snap discs and a vacuum switch. The low limit switch is "open on rise" instead of "close on rise" like all other stoves. The squirrel cage 85 CFM exhaust collects more ash and gets out of balance and vibrates more easily than the standard 11 petal impeller blades so I recommend changing the exhaust blower and housing to an upgraded blower with the 11 petal impeller blades.

Just my experience and 2 cents.
P.S. The damper is touchy which means a slight pull makes a difference but once it is set, it it is fine.

e-zlight. Did you end up purchasing this stove? I am looking at this exact stove to help heat my 2000 sq. ft. house so I don't use up so much oil. I found it at Rural King for $1,656.97. Not as cheap as you found, but is cheap for a 300lb hopper. Anyone else have this stove?

Thanks,

e-zlight. Did you end up purchasing this stove? I am looking at this exact stove to help heat my 2000 sq. ft. house so I don't use up so much oil. I found it at Rural King for $1,656.97. Not as cheap as you found, but is cheap for a 300lb hopper. Anyone else have this stove?

Thanks,

I ended up not getting this stove. Saw multiple sites of customers not happy because the temp coming out wasn't hot enough, but it's that way due to the 250cfm fan. I got gun shy, and am still running my original two stoves.

I just wanted to follow up on this. I ended up purchasing the PelPro 300. I installed it back in late October. The only problem I have had with it is that it came with a defective control knob. I called PelPro and they immediately sent out a new one (installation was simple). Since then, the stove has been burning great! Haven't burned any oil since I installed the stove, and I have a two story 2000 sq ft house. Feel free for anyone to PM me if they would like to know more about the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.