Anyone know about the Dremel chainsaw kit?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hard Woods said:
Is this compatible with the Dremel 10.8v cordless model?

For Valentine's day, my wife got me the little mini Dremel kit that just has a metal plate guide that screws onto the end of the dremel along with a cylindrical file bit.

I used it for the first time today - it is AWESOME. So much easier than hand filing, and a much nicer result - it is very easy to get a nice consistent angle across the blades and the teeth were definitely much sharper than I could get with a file. She said it was remarkably cheap too - not a lot to it, but it does the job well.

It also came with a depth gauge and good directions. For the first time, I filed those down to spec since using the chain a while - that made a HUGE difference in cutting speed with much larger shavings coming off the cuts. I now realize that I need to find my last chain and file it using this kit - it'll probably make it useful again.

-Colin

ps - don't know about a cordless... I have a plug-in model

I don't have a cordless one, but plug in. For me, it works quite well, getting a consistant angle and sharpening. Still those used to the hand filing is it better that is debatiable?
For the novice that has had little luck with hand filing this is a good way to go. Its so easy a caveman can produce a sharp chain.

Some are 12 volt made to clip onto you car Battery Again I do not know about the crodless ones

I got the cheap oregon clip on sharpener for my tractor when I am in the wood cutting. They are pretty precise if set properly. I have used the dremel's version and its the same thing. I hand file and I have the Oregon, and both are good. Also the cheap chain grinders from Harbor Freight aren't too bad. For 40 bucks, it works pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.